Message Boards Message Boards

Free Wolfram Engine for Developers: What editor or IDE do you use?

Posted 5 years ago

I am curious about people using the Free Wolfram Engine for Developers (http://www.wolfram.com/engine/)

I have two questions:

1. What editor and/or IDE do you use primarily with the WE to develop your code?
  2. If Wolfram added the notebook based package editor (File > New > Package/Script) would this be useful to you? Or would you not use it and, if so, why not?

enter image description here

Thanks for any insight you can give me.

Additional feedback on the notebook package editor is also welcome.

POSTED BY: Arnoud Buzing
4 Replies
  • Geany + wolfram-geany to develop scripts that are supposed to run in the background and without REPL. Geany is very lightweight and easily extendible.

• JWLS if I need a REPL, especially if I run WE on a remote server. I also use it to publish my documents/reports as html pages thanks to the markdown integration in jupyter notebooks. Usually my workflow is to write MD and do computation with the WE in a remote jupyter notebook (on my VPS) that eventually I convert to html with jupyter-nbconvert to publish it in the /var/www/html/.. folder.

P.S A new verion of JWLS is almost ready here which is even more minimalistic, more efficient and it supports Manipulate through js

Posted 5 years ago

A rough idea for improvement of the package editor: enter image description here

POSTED BY: Hans Milton
Posted 5 years ago

Had another look.

2. Update

There is an explanation in a tooltip: enter image description here

3. Debug

Related on MSE

Posted 5 years ago

This is a feedback on the notebook package editor. I have comments on four of the menu items.

enter image description here

1. Functions

One expects it to open a up a selector pointing to the functions in the package, But the selection also contains pointers to code within functions. Confusing.

2. Update

What does this button do?

3. Debug

Avoid checking this box. If you do, it produces a palette which cannot be closed. Until you quit the kernel. Annoying.

4. Run all code

Could have a better label. Does what is more commonly known as Evaluate Initialization Cells

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract