Message Boards Message Boards

Exploring the Yellowstone Calderas with GeoGraphics and USGS Data

POSTED BY: Jeffrey Bryant
3 Replies
Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Posted 4 years ago

I once very roughly estimated the weight of the earth above the caldera (that weight who's energy will sink into the lava and thus push it up - some of which becomes airborn). 15 peta tons? The top on this bottle "weighs allot" and that contributes to the energy and size of it's destruction (after expanding gasses escaped) (because it is not a rocky peak but instead a huge patch of soil: it is expected it would easily fall in and thereafter lava would be pushed out - a second punch you might say)

would this second outflow be a years long curtain volcano flow or limited to, say, a few days?

POSTED BY: Anonymous User

I have to say I have never done serious research on the Yellowstone system, not being a geologist by training, just an enthusiast. I found the following article interesting:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/rosetta-stones/will-yellowstone-erupt-soon-and-kill-us-all/

POSTED BY: Jeffrey Bryant

enter image description here - Congratulations! This post is now featured in our Staff Pick column as distinguished by a badge on your profile of a Featured Contributor! Thank you, keep it coming, and consider contributing your work to the The Notebook Archive!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract