|
|
3 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Problem with Interdependent Variables in Coordinate System Demonstration

I'm trying to develop a tool/demonstration for my Calculus II and III classes, showing different coordinate systems. I have one for rect. and polar, and another for rect., cylindrical, and spherical, but I've posted only the rect./polar one, as the problem I'm encountering in both seems to be the same.

The idea is that students can manipulate either the rectangular coordinates or polar coordinates, and the other will update dynamically. The point with the given coordinates is also displayed on the plane. When I manipulate x,y, or r, everything seems to work fine, but when I update theta, none of the other variables update dynamically, and the point doesn't move. I can't seem to figure out why. Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Zachary Cline
3 Replies

It's the damndest thing, but I got it to work by changing the upper-bound value of theta to:

{\[Theta], 0}, 0, 2 N[\[Pi]],
POSTED BY: Frank Iannarilli

Nice Manipulate!

You need to make the bounds of both Rho and Theta similar, i.e. make the Theta as you have it with Rho, { [Theta], 0}, 0, 10]. Regards

Thank you both. Getting rid of the symbol ? in the bounds (or enclosing it in N[]) solved the problem. I don't know enough about the inner workings of Mathematica to know why this would cause such an issue.

POSTED BY: Zachary Cline
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract