Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
6 Replies
|
7 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Can I use Mathematica Home Edition for Scientific Research?

Posted 4 years ago

Can I use Mathematica Home Edition for Scientific Research and to publish results together with my co-Authors at Scientific Journals or to use the results as a part of our reports at the Scientific Events?

Mathematica Software is installed and used only on my home computer.

Thank you.

POSTED BY: uspenskiyke
6 Replies
Posted 4 years ago

Hello and Great Thanks to all of your detailed replies, dear Wolfram Community members! Now I know how to use my Mathematica license properly.

Best wishes to all, Kirill Uspenskiy.

POSTED BY: uspenskiyke

As Jim states above, this is best directed to Wolfram Sales, however, you can get a reasonable idea From the Wolfram portal describing the license:

Home Edition Accessing, installing, and using Home Edition is governed by the terms and conditions set forth in the Product License Agreement and the associated Product License Certificate. The Use Class for this Product is restricted to those using Home Edition solely for their personal use, not for commercial gain. As such, the following Prohibited Uses supplement those in the general Product License Agreement: a. the Software may not be used for work or research in which the work product benefits, or is "work for hire" on behalf of, any Commercial, Nonprofit, Academic, or Governmental organization; and b. the Software may not be used for any purpose associated with seeking commercial advantage or private monetary gain.

I hope this helps

Regards,

Neil

POSTED BY: Neil Singer
Posted 4 years ago

Again, this question is best directed to Wolfram, Inc.

But I'd hardly call "scientific publishing" non-profit. Many of us get paid for doing research by private companies and/or governments. One's pay might be increased by the quality and number of publications based on the use of Mathematica. Patents might be based heavily on work using Mathematica. So there are potential profits for the company and not just the individual.

If it were the case that individual scientists could just use a home version (at much lower cost than a professional license), why would anyone want to buy a professional license?

POSTED BY: Jim Baldwin

Wouldn't scientific publishing count as non-profit? What about open access publishing/preprints/blog posts? There is an increasing grey zone of what constitutes "scientific publishing".

Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Posted 4 years ago

I would say NO. The license is clear that it is for non-profit use only. Publishing copyright clearly exceeds the terms.

You could use Mathematica at home for private non-profit non-business use or in schools so long as the use was not-for-profit.

When you "buy" a pro version you get a discount on further upgrades.

You can keep your pro version "forever", however you will eventually (likely) wish to get binary updates merely for PC compatibility (even if not for it's math advancements) (you need to consider whether to stay updated regularly). To save money? You could use home edition for pc compatibility and keep pro running on and "old PC" as long as the PC still runs, but it would be bothersome to you personally to do all that.

POSTED BY: Anonymous User
Posted 4 years ago

I think this is something that you need to contact Wolfram, Inc. directly rather than through this forum. You probably should be prepared with your license number and an answer to the question about if this scientific publication requiring (or at least using) Mathematica is part of your job duties and/or if the publication leads to enriching your or your colleagues either directly or indirectly.

For example, SAS (a statistical package) has a "University Edition" free to download which on the associated community website has answers to such questions (again, about SAS). In essence, if money is involved (directly or indirectly), the answer is "No".

POSTED BY: Jim Baldwin
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract