GROUPS:

Manage large data quantity?

Posted 1 year ago
|
6 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
|

I have a very large quantity of information in a CVS file. I imported the data correctly but now I need to use FromDigits... and everytime that that I try the function, the Mathematica collapses and closes... any suggestions?

6 Replies

I don't see any problem with plotting or loading this data. Indeed the first line is a string instead of a number and many numbers of which you want to take the Log are 0 but in general mathematica doesn't realy care about that at all.

In[88]:= alist = Import["CO2_IR_50.csv", "Data"];

In[102]:= cross = alist[[All, 2]];

logC = Log[cross];

logC[[1 ;; 10]]

Out[104]= {Log[
  "cross_section"], Indeterminate, Indeterminate, Indeterminate, \
Indeterminate, Indeterminate, Indeterminate, Indeterminate, \
Indeterminate, Indeterminate}

Even plotting work ok, it just ignores values it cannot plot.

ListPlot[data]
ListPlot[Transpose[{alist[[All, 1]], logC}]]

enter image description here

PS use a semicolon at the end of your lines to prevent mathematica printing everything to the notebook when it is not needed.

Log[cross] is unevaluated because cross contains the string "cross_section" from the header row. Try

cross = alist[[2 ;;, 2]];
logC = Log[cross]

As others have commented, it is not clear what you are trying to accomplish with FromDigits since your data does not have a list of digits.

Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Posted 1 year ago

You may have an error in your CSV.

Remember to read instructions on Import: you are importing Mathematica expressions. If you wish to "import only data" then insure you use the right options.

(ie, if you import 2+2 to Mathematica the default is to evaluate it as an expression not as "2+2" text, and if you import "123 promise lane" Mathematica will believe that's 123promiselane unless your sure the Import you used is "data only not expression").

FromDigits "can't" cause a collapse and cause a close (used in a script without error). Perhaps you used the wrong syntax (it is possible to cause the Kernel to Quit[] using illegal syntax, though the front end should not be effected unless you have an OS bug), or imported the data incorrectly (my guess is you imported expressions un-knowingly and because you don't realize they are expressions that constitute bad syntax, you haven't guessed why it would be "closing out" on you).

POSTED BY: Anonymous User
Answer

Please provide a short example of relevant input and desired output. As indicated in a different response, it is not obvious what exactly is desired here.

Posted 1 year ago

Mathematica 12.0.

The goal is to convert the data in a integer...

What version of Mathematica are you using? What is the goal of the FromDigits? It's very unclear from the notebook. Can you take a smaller piece of your data and show what outputs you are expecting from that data?

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract