Message Boards Message Boards

Import a DXF file generated from Mathematica into AutoCAD?

Posted 4 years ago

Hi All, I've imported a dxf file generated in AutoCAD into Mathematica, processed it and now the file is exported in dxf format. I am trying to import the same file( exported from Mathematica) into AutoCAD and there is a problem. The file doesn't load successfully in AutoCAD.

Could someone look into this? The file is attached. I'm not sure what's going wrong.

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Natash A

I also can't open your dxf in AutoCadLT.

In my experience Mathematica's DXF export functionality is at best flakey - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The attached notebook is something I put together to try to figure out what's going on and where the limitations lie. One issue may be that the dxf exporter is designed to export only 3D graphics objects. The documentation for dxf export states "exports a 3D mesh-based geometric region* to a DXF file. The expr can be any region that is ConstantRegionQ or a Graphics** or Graphics3D object*". However, my experience is that some graphics objects, particularly some 2D objects, simply won't export - Circle[] and Polygon[] being two examples where the error message returned suggests that a 3D graphics object is required (see attached notebook).

With regard to your particular problem, it's difficult to offer any suggestions without seeing the notebook that generates the problematic dxf. Would you be able to provide the notebook? Or at least the section that generates the dxf?

All the best,

Ian

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Ian Williams
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract