|
8 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

PDF of a Transformed discrete distribution

Posted 4 years ago

Hi all, This code returns results not matching the results of the book I am working on.

f[x_] := Piecewise[{{1/3, x == {1, 1}}, {2/3, x == {2, 0}}}];
\[ScriptCapitalD] := 
  ProbabilityDistribution[
   f[{x1, x2}], {x1, -Infinity, Infinity}, {x2, -Infinity, Infinity}]; 
PDF[TransformedDistribution[
   2 {x1, x2}, {x1, x2} \[Distributed] \[ScriptCapitalD]], {y1, 
   y2}] // FullSimplify

i should have a result like P(Y==y)=P(g^-1(y)) for g an increasing function which is not the result Mathematica proposes. Any suggestions? Thx.

8 Replies
Posted 4 years ago

No. Read the online reference of Discrete Multivariate Distributions under Scope. You still need dx.

POSTED BY: Jim Baldwin
Posted 4 years ago

Your example I think just isn't the kind of probability distribution that ProbabilityDistribution and TransformedDistribution can handle. However, those two functions do handle Exercise 3 of the reference you posted:

dist = ProbabilityDistribution[x^2/30, {x, 1, 4, 1}]
PDF[dist, x]

Discrete distribution

Now the transformation part of the exercise:

dist2 = TransformedDistribution[x + 1, x \[Distributed] dist]
PDF[dist2, y]

Transformed distribution

I see, the dx here is the increment of x to move from xmin to xmax However, I am using the 1st definition in the case of multivariate. no need for dx. enter image description here Thank u for everything.

Posted 4 years ago

From the online reference:

ProbabilityDistribution for discrete distributions

Posted 4 years ago

The dx term is found in the online reference for ProbabilityDistribution.

Thx for the feedback, I was really doubting myself. As per your comment "For discrete distributions there is a dx value that is needed", please share references since the book provided a satisfactory demonstration. Maybe you are referring to a continuous function f which is not the case in this problem.

Posted 4 years ago

You're writing a book or going through an existing book?

Everything you wrote looks good except for one thing. For discrete distributions there is a dx value that is needed. However, that doesn't seem fix things.

The following seems to get a bit farther:

f[{x1_, x2_}] := Piecewise[{{1/3, {x1, x2} == {1, 1}}, {2/3, {x1, x2} == {2, 0}}}];
\[ScriptCapitalD] = ProbabilityDistribution[f[{x1, x2}], {x1, -10, 10, 1}, {x2, -10, 10, 1}];
Mean[\[ScriptCapitalD]]

$$\left\{\frac{5}{3},\frac{1}{3}\right\}$$

Variance[\[ScriptCapitalD]]

$$\left\{2/9, 2/9\right\}$$

Covariance[\[ScriptCapitalD]]

$$\left\{\left\{2/9, -(2/9)\right\}, \left\{-(2/9), 2/9\right\}\right\}$$

\[ScriptCapitalD]2 = TransformedDistribution[2 {x1, x2}, {x1, x2} \[Distributed] \[ScriptCapitalD]] // 
   FullSimplify;
Mean[\[ScriptCapitalD]2]

$$\left\{\frac{10}{3},\frac{2}{3}\right\}$$

Variance[\[ScriptCapitalD]2]

$$\left\{\frac{8}{9},\frac{8}{9}\right\}$$

Covariance[\[ScriptCapitalD]2]

$$\left\{\left\{8/9, -(8/9)\right\}, \left\{-(8/9), 8/9\right\}\right\}$$

But RandomVariate doesn't work with the above. For your particular example things can be rewritten so that RandomVariate works

d = TransformedDistribution[2 {x + 1, 1 - x}, x \[Distributed] BernoulliDistribution[2/3]];
RandomVariate[d, 10]
(* {{4, 0}, {2, 2}, {4, 0}, {4, 0}, {4, 0}, {4, 0}, {4, 0}, {2, 2}, {4, 0}, {4, 0}} *)

I suspect that ProbabilityDistribution and/or TransformedDistribution just can't handle the structure you have. (I'd like to be wrong about that.)

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract