|
2 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Changing the Slideshow Navigation Toolbar Location

Posted 11 years ago
I would like to use Mathematica's slideshow functionality to do presentations using an interactive whiteboard.  The default location of the navigation toolbar is at the top of the screen, with the buttons to move between slides smack dab in the center.  This is quite possibly the most inconvienent place to put the controls for my purposes, as it requires me to step in front of the screen, blocking the view, and awkwardly reach up in order to navigate from slide to slide.  Ideally, I could place navigation buttons on the side of the screen, which would let me tap them without getting in the way.  Is there any way for me to accomplish this?
POSTED BY: Rudolph Cirbus
2 Replies
The navigation cell is a docked cell which is by default set when one chooses the SlideShow screen enviornment.  This docked cell is specified in the notebook's style sheet.  If one digs through the default style sheets to find this setting one finds that the docked cell is specified, not explicitly by a Cell expression but by the following:
FEPrivate`FrontEndResource["FEExpressions", "SlideshowToolbar"]

As far as I can see by looking through the Mathematica files in the application this must be an expression that is internal to Mathematica itself, rather than something that is read in from a file on startup. 

If you open a notebook and simply execute the following you will see how this works:

SetOptions[EvaluationNotebook[],
DockedCells -> {FEPrivate`FrontEndResource["FEExpressions","SlideshowToolbar"]}]

As a result I don't see how to get access to the actual Cell expression that this generates for the DockedCell.  If I could then I could pretty easily modify it and you could then create a special StyleSheet for your SlideShow which would have hting modified to your needs. 

But....  failing that, you can use the SlideShow palette to generate a Table of Contents palette with the navigation buttons that you need and just position that ToC palette where you wish to on your screen.  

Open the slide show....  then open the SlideShow palette....  then click on the Table of Contents button.   This will create a palette with navigation tools for your slide show which you can plae where you wish.
POSTED BY: David Reiss
Posted 11 years ago
I appreciate the insight.  You are correct about the table of contents pallate.  I am able to open it, shrink the size, and move it to the side in order to use as a navigation tool.  Had I known that, I might not have kept searching for another solution.

Through some experimentation, I was also able to come up with a solution external to mathematica by way of OSX's new switch control accessability option.  I created a panel with previous and next buttons, which I mapped to page up and page down.  Clicking the button sends that keyboard command, which moves me to the previous or next slide.
http://i.imgur.com/h8K96qI.png?2

I set this panel to be visible when mathematica is loaded up and switch control is turned on.  I then made the panel highly transparent, as to minimally interfere with the slideshow.  I think it gives a slightly more professional look than keeping the table of contents pallate off to the side.  Here is what my custom panel looks like, placed underneith table of contents pallate I shrunk down.
http://i.imgur.com/rfM0dDq.png?1

I can even place the panel mostly off the screen, so that I just have enough button left to click on.

Ideally I think that something similar should be built into mathematica.  That, or incorporate some sort of mouse gesture for switching pages.
POSTED BY: Rudolph Cirbus
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract