4 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Plotting a line in 3 space

Posted 11 years ago
Hello everyone...

I've been exploring Mathematica (version 8) this afternoon and I was working with plots and various functionality. I usually like to find a basic thing to start with and then add notes to it and build it up with more and more detail. Then I save these so I can go back later in case I forget how to do something.

I wanted to plot a straight line in 3D. Just a simple line like you'd see in 2D ---- y = x (example below), but I want this line to extend out in 3-space. I tried to modify some of the examples in help, but they fail, and the error messages are just as cryptic as they have always been in the computer world.

Plot[x, {x, -3, 3}]

This is part of another goal and that is to plot random x, y, z data points about this line. If anyone has ideas about this as well that would be great, but the line is my main interest right now.

Thanks
POSTED BY: fizixx :)
4 Replies
Show[Graphics3D[Line[{{1, 1, -1}, {2, 2, 1}}]], Axes -> True]
POSTED BY: Frank Kampas
Hi,

>> This is part of another goal and that is to plot random x, y, z data points about this line.
>> If anyone has ideas about this as well that would be great, but the line is my main interest right now.

Given a line specified by end points ( {{1, 1, -1}, {2, 2, 1}} in your case),  
it is possible to define a frame using translations and rotations where line will coincide with one of the axis.
In this new frame line end points are {{0,0,0},{0,0,length}}
Placing random points  in the new frame is easy . I used a cylinder area to place points in:
 endpoints = {{0, 0, 0}, {0, 0, 1}};
 rad = 0.2;
 points = DeleteCases[
    Table[{RandomReal[{-rad, rad}], RandomReal[{-rad, rad}],
      RandomReal[{0, 1}]}, {i, 1,1000}], _?(#1[[1]]^2 + #1[[2]]^2 > rad^2 &)];
 Show[
 Graphics3D[{Thick, Line[endpoints]}],
 Graphics3D[{PointSize[Large], Yellow, Point[points]}],
 Graphics3D[{Opacity[0.1], Cylinder[endpoints, rad]}]
]
You might consider using Rotate[] and Translate[] functions for Graphics3D[] to transform your line into new frame,
then generate points with above method, and finally inverse-transform everything (line and generated points) back to the old frame.

Probably there is a better way, but you can give this a try.

I.M.
POSTED BY: Ivan Morozov
Posted 11 years ago
Frank ----- THANK YOU!!
Posted 11 years ago
Ivan.....

That is great. I will follow along with your suggestions for Rotate[] and the rest. Thanks very much!!!
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract