|
3 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

[Solved] DSolve in Wolfram|Alpha?

Posted 4 years ago

tried the example:

DSolve[{y'[x]==y[x]}, y[x], x]

and just get reply that alpha can't understand, even though this is an exact copy of the documentation example???

POSTED BY: jon styles
3 Replies
Posted 4 years ago

Assuming you are using WolframAlpha

DSolve[y'[x]==y[x],y[x],x]

works with WA, so apparently the layer of {} was confusing it.

And

{y'[x]==y[x]}

works with WA

And

{y'[x]==y[x],y[0]==2}

works with WA

Even just

y'=y

works with WA

POSTED BY: Bill Nelson
Posted 4 years ago

I am guessing a bit, based on your description.

Wolfram Mathematica, whether it is on your desktop computer or your laptop, has a detailed set of documentation on exactly what notation can be used with it.

Wolfram Alpha is a completely different product with a very different set of rules and, as far as I am aware, does not have a set of detailed documentation on exactly what notation can be used with it.

To complicate this, Wolfram Alpha does accept some Wolfram Mathematica notation and I have been able to use that to get it to solve problems that I was otherwise unable to solve. But there are many Wolfram Mathematica notations that Wolfram Alpha does not understand. And vice versa to a much greater extent.

To further complicate this, some people will post questions here about Wolfram Alpha and some readers will assume those are Wolfram Mathematica questions and give responses that cannot be successfully used in Wolfram Alpha.

POSTED BY: Bill Nelson
Posted 4 years ago

Many thanks Bill. I shouldn't have trusted the documentation! That's great, especially the variations.

POSTED BY: jon styles
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract