GROUPS:

Playing around with randomness and algebraic numbers

Posted 4 months ago
|
1 Reply
|
17 Total Likes
|

Hey everyone, Vitaliy suggested I post this. Explanation and code included!

Limit of algebraic roots

The basic idea is twofold:

1. For most polynomials $P(x)$ and the series of polynomials $Q_ n(x)=x^n+P(x)$, as $n\to\infty$, $Q_n(x)=0$ will have some solutions approaching the unit circle.

2. The structure of the roots of $Q_n(x)=x^n-1$ has the same structure as the set of rational numbers in $[0,1]$, since its solutions are $x=e^{2\pi i \frac{a}{n}}$.

So, you make some polynomial in x called $P(x,\theta)$ and animate over theta. Better yet, add a random polynomial of finite degree to start! Circle's sizes are decided by the leading coefficient of the polynomial, $n$.

This is another one I made without any randomness. I don't have the source code/specific polynomial that I used, but it looks like a cubic to me. Also it looks like I didn't set "AnimationRepetitions"->Infinity on this one, so you'll have to refresh if you don't see it animating. Keep an eye out for Euclid's orchard!

limit circle

CODE

coef[n_, k_] := 
  coef[n, k] = (RandomReal[{-1, 1}] + RandomReal[{-1, 1}] I);
nframes = 240;
solve[theta_, n_] := NSolve[
   Sum[coef[n, k] z^k, {k, 1, n}] + 0.2 E^(I theta) + 
     0.9 E^(I 2 theta) z^3 If[n >= 3, 1, 0] + 
     0.9 E^(I 3 theta) z^6 If[n >= 6, 1, 0] == 0,
   z];
disks[theta_, n_] := Disk @@@ Flatten[Table[
     {{Re[z], Im[z]}, Max[0.3/n, 0.004]} /. solve[theta, n],
     {n, 4, 120}], 1];
Export["algebraicAnimation.gif", Table[
  Graphics[{Black, disks[theta, n]}, PlotRange -> 1.3],
  {theta, 0, 2 Pi (1 - 1/nframes), 2 Pi/nframes}],
 "DisplayDurations" -> 1/60, "AnimationRepetitions" -> Infinity]

enter image description here -- you have earned Featured Contributor Badge enter image description here

Your exceptional post has been selected for our editorial column Staff Picks http://wolfr.am/StaffPicks and Your Profile is now distinguished by a Featured Contributor Badge and is displayed on the Featured Contributor Board. Thank you!

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract