Message Boards Message Boards

Understanding Aggregate COVID Curves

Posted 3 years ago

MODERATOR NOTE: coronavirus resources & updates: https://wolfr.am/coronavirus

5 Replies

If the ColorFunction is of the form ColorData[...] it processes it differently from generalized functions. They are equivalent in general, but GeoRegionValuePlot treats them differently.

Isn't that really a bug though? those should be equivalent no?

ColorData[{"RedBlueTones","Reversed"}][#]&[0.3]

would evaluate to:

ColorData[{"RedBlueTones","Reversed"}][0.3]

so then, they are the same?

Unless ColorData[…] is recognized in some special way of course…

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman

Yes, I assume those plateaus are reporting errors of some kind. There are also some negative ones, which are even more suspect.

About the ColorFunction, you also might think that

ColorData[{"RedBlueTones","Reversed"}][#]&

is equivalent to

ColorData[{"RedBlueTones","Reversed"}]

but GeoRegionValuePlot will bin the data if you use the second, but not if you use the first. I think it is much more useful to look at the unbinned data, so I often wrote this weird ColorData[...][#]& construct. I believe there is going to be an option to get around this in a future version.

enter image description here -- you have earned Featured Contributor Badge enter image description here

Your exceptional post has been selected for our editorial column Staff Picks http://wolfr.am/StaffPicks and Your Profile is now distinguished by a Featured Contributor Badge and is displayed on the Featured Contributor Board. Thank you!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team

Very nice deep dive into the data!

I find it very curious that many of the national curves have very sharp, flat-topped "peaks" of about a week's duration. Do you know of an explanation for this feature? I suspect that they are reporting errors, and it would be useful to know their origin and appropriate data-cleaning techniques.

I've been using ColorData for many years, and learned something new about it today: one can get the colors reversed directly with

ColorData[{"RedBlueTones","Reversed"}][#]&
POSTED BY: Robert Nachbar
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract