Message Boards Message Boards

Reduce the cubic voxel side length of a Graphics3D model?

Hi! I'm generating some Cellular Automata for 3D printing. To do so, each CA rule is generated with a 200x200x200 domain (which is a 200x200x200-voxel cube). Here is my problem, I'm using the function Graphics3D to generate the cellular automata but I can't reduce the cubic voxel side length, which is set to be 1mm by default, and causes the model to demand too much memory from my computer (I have 8GB) and the software just closes without finishing generating the model (with this side length the model becomes 4 times bigger than the one that I actually need). I'd like to know if there is a way to reduce the side length of the cubic voxel, so the model generated is smaller and requires less memory to run properly. I'm using Graphics3D because it's the only function that I can Export to .stl files (I also tried with Image3D and I can generate the models with this side length but I can't export to .stl). I added the Mathematica code that I'm using bellow so you guys can see and maybe help me with it. Thanks!

POSTED BY: Rafael Jorge
2 Replies
Posted 3 years ago

Hi Rafael,

I think the problem is with rendering the Graphics3D with 4007223 cuboids in the notebook. I added a ; to suppress rendering and it completed successfully.

Automato3D = Graphics3D[Cuboid /@ Position[CA3D[23, 200, 50, 100, 12], 1]];
POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi

Thanks!

POSTED BY: Rafael Jorge
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract