Message Boards Message Boards

Ear training with Wolfram language -- a model for mastery-type quizzes

Revised: 14 September 2020 to add updated package

I wrote a short program so that I could have some ear training. Because I started the graduate program i music after I got a degree in maths, there were a lot of topics that fell through the cracks, and ear training was one of them.

enter image description here

I was unhappy with the commercial products, so I designed mine using the model of test to proficiency. The program plays an interval, and I have to select the right interval from a popup menu. If I identify the interval correctly, that interval is removed from the test list.

In this version, I used the built-in MIDI notes. It has its limitations about the sound quality. I may replace the function to generate the interval with one that uses sound synthesis. In that way, I can generate pure fifths, thirds, etc., rather than the equal-tempered notes that SoundNote[] does.

A third option is to record the chromatic gamut on my flute and use real sounds to make the interval. This may prove to be the best.

The user can stop the quiz at any time, and get a report:

enter image description here

I could make this report prettier, but it has all the information I need. For each interval (up and down), I can see what intervals I chose.

This code may have utility beyond ear training, since there are lots of exercises in many fields that have a similar structure.

Enjoy.

Attachments:
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract