Message Boards Message Boards

Finding the spookiest day of the century

Posted 3 years ago

POSTED BY: David Ameneyro
13 Replies
Posted 3 years ago

@Jeremy,

Yes Graphics and Colors are where kids get interested, much more than the math-y stuff! I think it's great to show some of the code behind an app.

I'm looking forward to getting to the EIWL chapter on using CloudDeploy[] since we'll be able to start making apps that she can use outside of the programming lab environment and maybe share with her friends

And I'd love to help with a book, I'll start keeping better notes!

Posted 3 years ago

@Ahmed,

She does not fully understand that code. I told her what it does and went a little more into depth on MoonPhase[] (because I think it's so cool!), but as far as reading the code, she understood using Table[] on the friday13thfullmoon[] function.

Definitely keep going slow, it helps in my opinion. We started EIWL in June of this year and are only just now in the chapter that introduces Manipulate[]. That includes doing it once or twice a week, with frequent multi-week breaks. On days we do lessons she will re-watch the video for the chapter, and then do 1-4 problems for that chapter, usually with heavy assistance with me (especially for formatting like reminders to place a comma or close a bracket).

Thanks David, this clears things up. Thank you again for sharing your experience. Looking forward for more from you in the future.

POSTED BY: Ahmed Elbanna
Posted 3 years ago

@Vitaly,

Love the enhancements! Especially the TimeLinePlot with labels, I will have to show that to my daughter. It looks like Parallelize cuts the computation time by ~75%, gotta remember to use that in the future too.

Lots of reasons for using Wolfram with my child, especially for this type of exploration. The first is that I have fun with this and it's important to connect with your kid through hobbies (same reason I teach my kid skiing).

But beyond that, Wolfram is incredibly accessible. The functions are very human-readable, even for a kid (MoonPhase[] gives you the phase of the moon!). The built in knowledge makes it easy to focus on the fun part of the exploration rather than data collection/cleaning/loading.

At a higher level the Wolfram Programming Lab is an easy and powerful coding environment. The EIWL course is perfect for self-directed learning, having a video, scratchpad, questions/coding, documentation and lesson text all in one browser window. I can tell my kid to get started on her lesson for the day and she's actually learning within a few clicks.

Posted 3 years ago

Nice! As a child I was injured on a Friday the 13th in October and was amused that it happened on such an unlucky day. Now I know it was also a full moon!

POSTED BY: Sarah Snapp
Posted 3 years ago

Oh no! Some one should have warned you to watch out on such an unlucky day!

POSTED BY: Jeremy Sykes

@David That is very inspiring. I have a son in the same age of your daughter and I have been slowly showing him some tricks to do with WL and W|A. Does your daughter fully understand that code? cause I am going much slower with my son and I am not sure if he can handle it if I go faster. Thank you for sharing this.

POSTED BY: Ahmed Elbanna

Ahmed, not to overly tout our new products, but you might be interested in picking up a copy of our new book, Hands-on Start to Wolfram Alpha Notebook Edition. It's targeted to bring people in from Wolfram Alpha into programming with a lot more natural language from Wolfram Alpha thrown in.

https://www.wolfram-media.com/products/hands-on-start-to-wolfram-alpha-notebook-edition.html

POSTED BY: Jeremy Sykes

@David, what made you to choose Wolfram Language for this type of explorations, and also especially for your child education?

POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov
POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov
Posted 3 years ago

enter image description here -- you have earned Featured Contributor Badge enter image description here Your exceptional post has been selected for our editorial column Staff Picks http://wolfr.am/StaffPicks and Your Profile is now distinguished by a Featured Contributor Badge and is displayed on the Featured Contributor Board. Thank you!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract