|
4 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Selecting the on-screen keyboard instead of the IPad magic keyboard

Posted 3 years ago

I just hope that the iPad cloud app is updated, and further developed, as I just love it as a complement to the desktop Mathematica.

One problem I have however is when using the magic keyboard with my iPad Pro, how do I access the on-screen keyboard without disconnecting the iPad from the Keyboard dock?

POSTED BY: John Bird
4 Replies

I hope the following operations might be helpful.

1. Tap the gray area at the bottom of the screen.
  2. Tap the keyboard symbol that appears at the bottom of the screen.
  3. The on-screen keyboard will be available.

My iPad is iPad Pro(Gen4) with iPadOS(14.0.1) and Magic keyboard(JIS).

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Kotaro Okazaki
Posted 3 years ago

Thank you for the excellent clarification for how it should work. My iPad is also 4th Gen with iPad iOS 14.1 Unfortunately however when I touch the grey area with my finger, or click it with my iPad trackpad pointer, no menu is displayed. I can use a similar procedure in the Apple Notes app for selecting either the magic or on-screen keyboard which always works so I cannot understand why it doesn’t in the Cloud app!

BTW are you clicking the grey area with your finger as I suspect that you may be using an Apple Pencil 2? I am asking as I only have an Apple Pencil 1 and was playing around with my old iPad Pro1st Gen, without a separate keyboard, and that menu appeared! However, if I touch the grey area with my finger it doesn’t.! In fact I had never seen that menu before so was surprised when it popped up.

Ps. Sorry for the late reply but I kept getting the message that the “ Message Boards is temporarily unavailable.”, not sure why the plural “Boards” as I could see that posts were appearing on other boards! I must be having a bad day!

Thank you for your description of your environment. I've checked the way I described works only possible with the Apple Pencil 2, not my finger. Since I don't have the Apple Pencil 1, I am not able to check it with the Apple Pencil 1. So I came up with another way with finger.

1. Press control + ^. My keyboard is JIS, so "^" may be different from your keyboard.
  2. Then the on-screen keyboard with the logo of Wolfram Research "Spikey" will appear. Tap the keyboard symbol(red circle) in the lower right corner of the screen.
  3. Tap the keyboard symbol(green circle) in the middle, then the full on-screen keyboard will appear.

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Kotaro Okazaki
Posted 3 years ago

Thank you again for your suggestion. For me it works with control + = , however the on-screen keyboard then only usually works if the curser stays within the free-form input box. If I start a new cell the on-screen keyboard disappears and I have to control+= again to bring it back which limits me to working in the free-form box!

What I am trying to achieve is to be able to use them with the “Wolfram Language Input” The short and full keyboards are there, but it should be very easy to change between them and the magic keyboard. Unfortunately for me it is all very “hit and miss” so I will take this problem up with Wolfram support and let you know what they say.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract