GROUPS:

Causal invariance and rule reversal

Posted 1 month ago
|
2 Replies
|
4 Total Likes
|

I am wondering, if one reverses a rule in a causally invariant Wolfram model (i.e. changes it from A->B to B->A), whether the model remains causally invariant. Does anyone know an answer to the question?

2 Replies

I recal lthe definition

Causal Invariance: A property of multiway graphs whereby all possible paths yield the isomorphic causal graphs. When causal invariance exists, every branch in the multiway system must eventually merge. Causal invariance is a core property associated with relativistic invariance, quantum objectivity, etc. In the theory of term rewriting, a closely related property is confluence. In a terminating system, causal invariance implies that whatever path is taken, the "answer" will always be the same.

Consider the rules B-> A, C -> A acting on a word composed exclusively of letters from the alphabet {A, B, C}. This system is evidently causally invariant, because all the brances will merge to the same word after the substitution of all B and all C by A. On the other hand, the system obtained by reversing the rules A-> B, A -> C will be non-causally invariant for any word containing at least one "A". For example, applying these rules to A, we obtain two brances B and C, which cannot merge, since there is not rule to transform neither B nor C.

Ok, yes, very good. If we have at least two rules, then the reverse rules do not have to be causally invariant. I also came up with a single rule example: Consider the rule AB->AA. It is causally invariant for all starting states (can prove). If we start from ABA, we end with AAA in a single step. If we reverse the rule, then AAA can go into ABA or AAB.

I suspect, if we start from a graph (as opposed to a string), we can construct something very similar, although it seems more difficult to prove

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract