Message Boards Message Boards

Definition of lightlike separated events in the Wolfram model?

POSTED BY: Ruggero Valli
3 Replies

Thank you both for sharing your thoughts. I think I like the idea of a light cone that emerges fully only when taking the limit of a big causal graph embedded in a manifold.

Pavlo, interesting idea. I hadn't thought about that. However it may have some issues, because the causal graph could become rapidly so connected that there are no lightlike paths traversing it from top to bottom. For example, looking at the picture from Gorard's paper, there is only one lightlike path connecting the first event of the causal graph with the bottom events (the one I have drawn in violet) lightlike paths

In other words, only one of the bottom events can be reached in only one way. I suspect that doing some further step in the evolution, it may happen that no lightlike path traversing the whole graph exists anymore. This will definitely be the case if the system is confluent.

POSTED BY: Ruggero Valli

I am not particularly knowledgeable in this part of the Wolfram Model, but I had some ideas which may help define light-like, space-like and time-like events, while avoiding any imbedding (I suspect some of them may be already be present in Gorard's paper, but I haven't read all of it).

In special relativity, events inside the light cone can be reached by several light-like curves, while events on the boundary can be reached by only one light-like curve. The light-like events in WM could be defined in a similar way: two events A and B are light-like connected, if there exists only one unidirected causal chain connecting them (A->...->B or B->...->A) (two paths are considered equal, if they contain the same sequence of nodes). Similarly, two events are space-like connected, if there is no unidirected chain that would connect them; and two events are time-like connected, if there are more than one unidirected chain connecting them.

Do you think this would work?

POSTED BY: Pavlo Bulanchuk
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract