GROUPS:

Speech to Wolfram Language code?

Posted 10 months ago
|
4 Replies
|
8 Total Likes
|

I shattered my right elbow falling on ice just before Christmas, had surgery to put my elbow back together on 12/28, and am starting a graduate program in Complex Systems on February 1st. I will be in a cast for a while. (I am right-handed.)

Is there an efficient way to dictate Wolfram Language code? Or am I better off just typing with my left hand?

4 Replies

I am very sorry to hear about your injury, Kathryn! I hope it gets better soon. I think this is really interesting accessibility question. Perhaps @Kyle Keane knows something, -- he has been very helpful some relevant conversations. I think this question is also closely related to "How to comprehensibly read Wolfram Language code out loud?" Maybe if some data are accumulated in answering one of these -- the other can use those data too. I generally have seen some sources around these things being done in other languages -- so I do not see any reason for not implementing it in the Wolfram Language:

I cannot be the first person to have faced this problem.

Posted 9 months ago

Sorry to hear you've had such a bad injury, I had a serious injury to my right arm last year from which I am still recovering (elbow injuries are tough). I'm right handed, I found I could use Mathematica reasonably well with my left hand using "Sticky Keys" (a Windows features, so I didn't have to hold two keys down simultaneously) and that the function name suggestion features helps a lot, often only the first three or four characters were needed. Of course typing longer comments and the like was slow doing it one handed, I could see speech to text being helpful for this.

Thanks.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract