Message Boards Message Boards

Exploring SpatialMedian and CentralFeature for geographical regions

Posted 3 years ago

POSTED BY: Roman Parker
9 Replies

Moderator Note: this post was highlighted on the Wolfram's official social media channels. Thank you for your contribution. We are looking forward to your future posts.

POSTED BY: Moderation Team

Small note: If you weight the distribution centers by metro area populations, the result might change.

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau

Interesting. I will look into how to do that.

enter image description here -- you have earned Featured Contributor Badge enter image description here Your exceptional post has been selected for our editorial column Staff Picks http://wolfr.am/StaffPicks and Your Profile is now distinguished by a Featured Contributor Badge and is displayed on the Featured Contributor Board. Thank you!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team

Thank you!

Your badge was well-earned. Keep up the good work!

POSTED BY: Richard Frost

If a distance metric is induced by a norm, then centroid can also be used as a measure of central value. Although it is sometimes confused in the applied literature, a distance metric without an inducing norm has no centroid - only the mean, median, and central feature. Note that the mean is independent of distance metric while the central feature is not. Also note that some distance metrics (e.g. Mahalanobis) often produce a centroid equivalent to the mean - which is desirable in some applications and a problem in others.

I have updated the notebook based on the feedback you have given me, adding a section on different distance functions and calculation methods for the centroid and spatial median. Thank you for your feedback!

Well done, again!

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract