Message Boards Message Boards

Passing NDSolve through NIntegrate?

Posted 3 years ago

Hello everyone,

I was wondering: is it possible to solve a differential equation over a certain domain using NDSolve and pass that solution through NIntegrate? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Alex

POSTED BY: Alex L
7 Replies
Posted 3 years ago

Hello again,

I was told I should not ask this question via a new discussion, so I was wondering: do you know how I could avoid receiving an error in the attached code and how I might make the code run faster? I am trying to pass one NIntegrate solution through another and subsequently pass that resulting function through NIntegrate. The code is not only slow but also gives me an answer that I think is wrong.

Alex

Attachments:
Posted 3 years ago

WOW I really did not think this would be possible. Thank you SO MUCH!!

Posted 3 years ago

Hi Alex,

Thanks for changing the filename this time. The code in testt.nb 16-06-35-484.nb works fine for me. Make sure you start from a clean kernel. The problem is with the plotting because NIntegrate will be called hundreds of times. You can speed up the integration like this

B[u_?NumericQ] := 
 NIntegrate[(1 - c*g)*h[t]/K + g*(1 - c*g)*(1 - h[t]/K) - (h[t])/K, {t, A, u}, 
  Method -> {Automatic, "SymbolicProcessing" -> 0}]

Then this is pretty fast

Plot[Exp[B[u]], {u, 0, 250}]

enter image description here

Looks like the integral starts diverging around x = 225. Please verify that the change to B to speed it up is not impacting accuracy.

POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi
Posted 3 years ago

I updated it again; I am so sorry for the confusion! I am trying to solve h'[t] numerically using NDSolve, plug the resulting h[t] values into b(1-cg)h[t]/K + b(1-cg)g(1 - h[t]/K) - dh[t]/K and numerically integrate the resulting curve. Is this possible?

Alex

Posted 3 years ago

OK, I evaluated the updated notebook and there are no errors and there is no NIntegrate. So, I am confused. What are you trying to integrate?

Posted 3 years ago

Sorry about that! I updated the notebook.

Posted 3 years ago

Some problems with the code

h is a list, not a function. Need

h = h /. slv // First

And in the definition of B, h needs to be h[t].

What is g? It is used in the definition of B but is not defined. Easy to spot since it is colored blue.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract