Message Boards Message Boards

Percolation theory reveals biophysical properties of virus-like particles

WOLFRAM MATERIALS for the ARTICLE:

Brunk, N.E., Twarock, R.

Percolation Theory Reveals Biophysical Properties of Virus-like Particles.

ACS Nano 2021, 15, 8, 12988–12995

https://doi.org/10.1021/acsnano.1c01882

Full article in PDF

POSTED BY: Nicholas Brunk
4 Replies

Very interesting work! I mentored a #WolframSummerSchool student, @Jihyeon Je, working on a related project in 2018: Modeling Protein Structure of Viral Capsids:

POSTED BY: Paul Abbott

Thanks, Paul! Jihyeon's work is a very interesting exploration of capsid geometry and I look forward to diving into it further. Geodesation of Platonic solids gets you at least approximate geometric tilings that have the same topology, which ultimately determines percolation properties (and was thus sufficient for me here).

However, there are large swathes of tilings more intricate than those produced via the scripted method I used; in those instances, we resorted to a bit of manual work using 3rd party resources in the associated publication, even just to get the topological representation down. Your and Jihyeon's work seems to be more rigorous in that direction using Mathematica, which is fascinating.

POSTED BY: Nicholas Brunk

Nicholas: we only had 2 weeks to work on this project—and I don't know what Jihyeon is doing now—but it does sound like revisiting this project at a future #WolframSummerSchool would be a good idea!

POSTED BY: Paul Abbott

enter image description here -- you have earned Featured Contributor Badge enter image description here Your exceptional post has been selected for our editorial column Staff Picks http://wolfr.am/StaffPicks and Your Profile is now distinguished by a Featured Contributor Badge and is displayed on the Featured Contributor Board. Thank you!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract