Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
5 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Creating an entity for Planet Nine to compute a 3-body problem?

Posted 2 years ago

I am trying to compute a 3-body problem with the new information obtained about Planet Nine. Is it possible to define a new astronomical object in Mathematica in order to compute this with existing objects?

POSTED BY: Donna D'Alessio
5 Replies

Hello, Thank you so much! Do you know if there is a way to output the final position of the objects in the simulation?

Posted 2 years ago

Hi Donna,

NBodySimulation evaluates to an NBodySimulationData object. You can query it to obtain the values of various properties of the bodies at any time in the simulation. Using the example in the notebook

(* All properties for all bodies at time 0 *)
trojansgreeksnbs[All, 0]

(* Position of all bodies at the end of the simulation converted to AU *)
trojansgreeksnbs[All, "Position", simtime] // metersToAU
POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi

Hello,

Thank you for your guidance. Do you know how I would iterate the simulation over the full time range to create a movie?

Posted 2 years ago

Hi Donna,

You did not provide any code for your simulation so I used the example linked in my previous response. That example did not show how to generate the animation. In the attached notebook I have added code to generate it. You should be able to adapt it to your simulation.

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi
Posted 2 years ago

Hi Donna,

Take a look at NBodySimulation. If you have the required data for planet nine then you can just use that along with data from other planets which is available through the Entity framework.

An example that you might find useful.

POSTED BY: Updating Name
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract