Message Boards Message Boards

[ART] An infinite amount of wolves: chaos game with an exclusion region

MODERATOR NOTE: a submission to computations art contest, see more: https://wolfr.am/CompArt-22

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman
5 Replies

Dear Sander,

great idea to use the "chaos game" this way - I already had a lot of fun playing around with this nice idea! Thanks for sharing !!!

Here I just have a remark: I noticed that instead of applying the respective randomizing function on single points, it can be applied on the whole region (using TransformedRegion). The result then would be a clean region or a vector graphic:

(* MaxCellMeasure: to be chosen as big as possible! *)
reg = RegionResize[DiscretizeGraphics[Text[Style["\[Wolf]", Bold, 20]], _Text, MaxCellMeasure -> 3.1], 0.7];
pts4 = {{-1, -1}, {1, -1}, {1, 1}, {-1, 1}};
regs = Flatten[Table[NestList[TransformedRegion[#, (RandomChoice[pts4] + #)/2. &] &, reg, 6], 3000], 1];
regsd = DeleteDuplicates[regs];
(* in case a region is wanted: *)
(*  totalReg=RegionUnion[regsd];  *)
obj = Reverse[MeshPrimitives[#, 2] & /@ regsd];
Graphics[obj, ImageSize -> 700]

enter image description here

But doing it this way one definitely would need a more systematic approach instead of randomly choosing a transformation and then deleting duplicates ...

POSTED BY: Henrik Schachner

Hi Henrik,

Yes! This is indeed another way. However you will not be able to see the 'density' of the points. For the square it is more-or-less trivial, but there are chaos games where the density itself gives very rich patterns. Yours would converge much fast though :-)

Cheers!

Sander

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman

Hi Sander,

yes, yes - I totally agree: The chaos game relies on points! As I said - I was just playing around. To me it was rather surprising that Region and friends still work in that less simple context.

Best regards from Germany!

Henrik

POSTED BY: Henrik Schachner

This is fantastic! It would probably be mesmerizing to watch the pattern emerge in an accelerated animation, GIF or video. Not sure if this is possible.

POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov

enter image description here -- you have earned Featured Contributor Badge enter image description here Your exceptional post has been selected for our editorial column Staff Picks http://wolfr.am/StaffPicks and Your Profile is now distinguished by a Featured Contributor Badge and is displayed on the Featured Contributor Board. Thank you!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract