Message Boards Message Boards

[WSG22] Daily Study Group: Signals, Systems and Signal Processing

A Wolfram U daily study group on "Signals, Systems and Signal Processing" begins on May 16, 2022.

Join instructors @Leila Fuladi and @Mariusz Jankowski and a cohort of fellow learners to study the concepts, mathematics, principles and techniques of signal processing. We'll cover methods of analysis for both continuous-time and discrete-time signals and systems, sampling and introductory filter design. The concepts and methods of signals and systems play an important role in many areas of science and engineering and many everyday signal processing examples are included. A basic working knowledge of the Wolfram Language is recommended.

REGISTER HERE

enter image description here

113 Replies
Posted 1 month ago

Dear Community

Can somebody let me know if taking the Wolfram Language Programming Fundamentals course can provide the bare minimum Mathematica knowledge to go through this course?

Thank you!

POSTED BY: Bogdan Botas

Hello Bogdan, Yes, that would be a good start. You can also browse Stephen Wolfram's Elementary Introduction to the Wolfram Language to get a feel for the language.

If you get stuck with any particular function, you will find more information about it at reference.wolfram.com.

Hope this helps, Abrita

Hi Bogdan, I think that you can also just jump right into the course and acquire basic Wolfram Language skills from the numerous examples in the course. Use "Elementary Introduction ..." as a reference when you run into trouble or want to explore the language a bit deeper. Best of luck with the course!

I must admit that confuses me, that you would get different responses to the quiz questions at different times. Let me check on your quiz results, and we'll reach out to you directly if there is any issue.

POSTED BY: Jamie Peterson

Thanks for looking it up. I attach the screenshots from the first attempt, in which almost all my answers were marked as incorrect (same file I sent to wolfram-training email), and my last attempt, in which all the answers are marked correct, even though in both attempts the answers are the same.

POSTED BY: Arturo Pazmino

Hello @Arturo Pazmino. We plan to send the certificates out at the end of this week. Thank you for your patience!

Ah OK sounds great. Thanks.

I had a problem with quiz 6, it showed all my questions as incorrect, but you answered me saying that everything was fine with that quiz, I sent an email to wolfrain-training, they asked me to send captures, and I did, but I did not get a response after that. Then, several days later (maybe around, or after, the deadline), I tried running the quiz again, marked the same answers as before (only changed one), and I got all my answers correct (but one, the one I changed, on purpose, to test). So, I thought that the problem I had with that quiz caused me not to have the certificate. That is why I posted that question. Sorry.

Hi, I have a question about the certificates, I have not gotten mine, are you still working on these certificates? or is there any other reason for me not getting the certificate?

I think you are correct about the form of x[n] in Quiz 3 Problem 10. Well found Rui.

In general, I am also still learning about with the choice of FourierParameters which defines the FT.

I found a source explaining it here: https://www.johndcook.com/blog/2021/03/17/fourier-transforms-in-mathematica/ https://www.johndcook.com/blog/fourier-theorems/

I will read more about it later. I am catching up.

POSTED BY: Dave Middleton
Posted 1 year ago

Thank you, Jamie!

POSTED BY: Jonathan Bell

Hi @Jonathan Bell. Quiz 7 and 8 are linked in the course framework. Please check your recording notification emails from the Daily Study Group to find this link. Our Study Group participants have access to the course in its pre-release phase. We expect to officially release it soon.

Posted 1 year ago

Hi, all.

I was able to see the links for Quiz 7 and Quiz 8 through a different browser.

Posted 1 year ago

Hi, all.

I have completed the first six quizzes. I can't seem to find links for the seventh and eighth quizzes.

Posted 1 year ago

Hi, I have a few questions about the quiz: Quiz3 Q10 in my framework, I think x[n] should be delta[n]-delta[n-1]+2delta[n-3], then I got the correct answer, otherwise, even the length of convolve won't match...

Quiz4 Q4, the answer differs from the defination in course video, where there should be a factor of 2Pi times the "correct" answer.

Quiz4 Q5, I'm not sure if the answer is based on a different defination of FT, because I won't get the coefficient of sqrt[2/Pi]

And by the way, I pass all the quizzes, but how can I get the cetification doc? like a PDF version?

POSTED BY: Rui Lyu

Congratulations, @Rui Lyu, for passing all the quizzes. Certificates will be sent out next week, after the June 24 deadline. We will forward your questions about the quizzes to the instructors, and we'll reply to you privately. Thank you for contributing to the discussion!

The missing L31 course video is a known issue that we expect to resolve by next week. I want to remind our Daily Study Group participants that logging watched videos in the course is NOT a requirement for your completion certificate. As a Study Group participant, you need only to pass the course quizzes.

Posted 1 year ago

Hi, I see there's no video for L31, but the certification requires the watching...

POSTED BY: Rui Lyu

Hello, to the staff, could you please double check the "correct" answers for Quiz 6. Thanks.

Hi @Arturo Pazmino, We will look into this. Thanks

@Arturo Pazmino, we have double checked Quiz 6, and the correct answers all check out OK. enter image description here

If you are experiencing something in the course that doesn't look right, please report it to us at wolfram-u@wolfram.com. Thank you!

Has Quiz #8 been released yet?

Quiz 8 has been released as part of the course framework made available to our Study Group participants. Please check your recording notification email sent today and upcoming reminder emails for your link to the pre-released course framework.

Excellent! Thanks, Jamie.

I have two questions:

(1) In the interface for this community share, next to the "Add Notebook" icon is an icon to add a code sample. When I place my cursor over it, it states "Code Sample < pre> < code> Ctrl+K". Please explain exactly how to use this to enter a readable code sample. When I try it, I get the same thing as when I just copy and paste. (I am using the Google Chrome browser.) For example, I get the following:

Subscript[X, \[Delta]](j \[Omega])=1/(2 \[Pi]) \[ScriptCapitalF]{x(t)}*\[ScriptCapitalF]{Subscript[x, \[Delta]](t)}

(2) In file L30_Sampling.nb, I have two questions about the derivation following the cell that states "The Fourier transform of the signal Subscriptx, [Delta] may now be obtained by making use of the Fourier transform time-multiplication theorem (symbol * denotes convolution):" In the first line of the derivation should the argument of the rightmost Fourier transform be Subscript[Delta], T rather than Subscriptx, [Delta] ? Second, please show the detailed steps used to derive the Fourier transform of Subscript[Delta], T as shown in the second line of the derivation. (I assume linearity is used so that the derivation involves transforming the individual terms in the definition of Subscript[Delta], T.)

POSTED BY: Gerald Dorfman

There are no notebooks in the Exercises and Examples folder for the rest of the lessons, i.e. lessons 30..33.

The links of all recordings of the study sessions can be found on this page.

The link you're looking for can be found here.

POSTED BY: Dave Middleton

Would someone post the link to today's recording of the lesson Z-Transform and Z-Transform Theorems? I wasn't able to attend and don't see the email for the recording. Sincerely, Jay Morreale

POSTED BY: Jay Morreale

In both of today's lessons - Lessons 26 and 27, about Z-transforms and inverse Z-transforms - the functionTransferFunctionModel (https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/TransferFunctionModel.html) was used to get zeros/poles of a function, but there was no comment or explanation of the function.

It seems to be a very useful and versatile function. It is also used in Lessons 32 and 33, so perhaps it will be explained more in connection to these lessons?

Hello Hakan, please take a look at the attached notebook and let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks Mariusz for the notebook. I'm looking forward to the forthcoming lessons when TransferFunctionModel and BodePlot are used again.

Now that this Signals, System and Signal Processing Study Group/Course is soon at the end, I will use the knowledge obtained to go on using the more advanced features of TransferFunctionModel - and similar functions - to learn more about Control Systems.

(I hope there will be a Wolfram U Study Group/Course in Control Systems soon. Is so, sign me up!)

While traveling, I am relying solely on the Wolfram Cloud to perform all required calculations associated with the Signals Daily Study Group.

However, when copying Problem 1 in Lesson 11 (see attached) to the cloud and then trying to execute the solution to the problem using RSolveValue[], I receive an error message which does not allow me to duplicate the calculations that you performed in the lesson notebook (see attached). I am going to need to use the cloud in answering the Quiz problems associated with the Study Group.

If the cloud is incapable of performing the calculations, I may need to wait until returning home in mid July to complete the Quizzes.

Thanks,

Mitch Sandlin

Attachment

Attachment

POSTED BY: Mitchell Sandlin

Works fine for me on the Wolfram Cloud

RSolveValue[y[n] - \[Alpha] y[n-1] == 0, y[n], n]
(* \[Alpha]^(-1 + n) C[1] *)

Most likely you have an existing definition for y or \[Alpha]. Try ClearAll["Global`*"] or "Restart Session" from the "Evaluation" menu, or Quit[].

POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi

Thanks, Restarting the session did the job.

Mitch Sandlin

Could you please release the Vid for June 1st, as it is still not available.

POSTED BY: Anthony Collins

Sorry about that! Done.

I'm trying without success to maximize a piecewise function for t > 0. How do I do it? My failed code and output is attached as file ''MaximizePiecewiseFunction_GDorfman_2jun22.nb".

Attachments:

Gerald, did you find a solution to your problem?

FindMaximum seems to work:

FindMaximum[g[t], {t, 2.0}]

{0.503408, {t -> 2.25}}

Note that it give a warning about tolerance.

In case you missed today's online session, we've released six of the eight course quizzes, for the material covered during the first three weeks of this Study Group. Successful completion of all eight quizzes is required to earn a certificate. Check your recording notification email today for links to the quizzes.

Looking forward to any discussion, but please send any technical questions about the auto-graded quizzes by email to wolfram-u@wolfram.com, so we can address those directly. Also, we ask that everyone refrain from discussing specific quiz questions on this Community forum. Thanks!

I've attached as file "LaplaceROCProofGDorfman1jun22.nb" a proof that the region of convergence of a double-sided Laplace transform is independent of omega (the imaginary part of s). I would have preferred to copy the single text cell in the attached notebook into inline text here. I can't figure out how to do that without all the symbols being rendered as code, such as omega appearing as \[Omega]. How do I get notebook contents to appear inline here in readable form?

Attachments:

Can we get Fridays recording please (Week 2 Review and Fourier Series)

POSTED BY: Doug Beveridge

HI, I did not get the link for today's class, please let me know if there was any lecture today.

Super! Thank you Mariusz.

POSTED BY: Zbigniew Kabala

Hello all, I thought some of you may be interested in seeing the details of the convolution example shown in a recent lesson video. Here is a copy with some small edits.

Same here.

Gerald,

I see you modified your post, and what I wrote is no longer relevant. That is why I deleted it.

Zbigniew

Posted 2 years ago

I copied the following as input text. Without attaching the notebook, how do I copy and post WL input like this to our community group so it is more readable and also easy for readers to copy and execute in a notebook?

GraphicsGrid[Table[
  DiscretePlot[((2/3)^(n/2) Subscript[\[ConstantC], 1] + (-1)^
       n (2/3)^(n/2) Subscript[\[ConstantC], 2]) UnitStep[n], {n, -5, 
    20}, PlotRange -> {-2, 2}, PlotStyle -> PointSize[0.02`], 
   AxesLabel -> {n, y}, ImageSize -> {400, 400}, 
   PlotLabel -> ("\!\(\*SubscriptBox[\(\[ConstantC]\), \(1\)]\) = " <>
       ToString[N[Subscript[\[ConstantC], 1], 2]] <> 
      ", \!\(\*SubscriptBox[\(\[ConstantC]\), \(2\)]\) = " <> 
      ToString[
       N[Subscript[\[ConstantC], 2], 2]])], {Subscript[\[ConstantC], 
   1], {-1, 1/2, 3/2}}, {Subscript[\[ConstantC], 
   2], {-1, 1/3, -3/2}}]]

Posted 2 years ago

Thanks Zbigniew for bringing this up.

POSTED BY: Updating Name

Dear Mariusz, Thanks for this careful explanation. I understand completely why the method that Leila and you recommend works. What I don't understand, however, is this:

• Why HeavisideTheta[0] does not reduce to zero? Why is it left UNDEFINED? And
  • Why HeavisideTheta[t] does not reduce to one for t > 0?

In other words, why Mathematica fails? The two solutions I presented earlier and you just repeated have to be equivalent, as they are the solutions of the SAME problem. Both should result in Exp[ -t ].

Zbigniew Kabala: Yeah ... Solutions to Initial Value Problems with jump/step functions as input (non-homogeneous term) are defined in terms of Heaviside Functions in WL & Mathematica. These solutions are not defined at the jump points ... what means that the solution is not continuous at these points. This is NOT CONSISTENT with the requirement that solutions to DEs must be continuous. How do we reconcile the use of Heaviside Function with the fact that SOLUTIONS (functions satisfying the Differential Equation) MUST be differentiable at every point? This kind of trouble would not occur if the solutions were given in terms of the Step Functions instead. I remember questioning something like this in a previous "Daily Study Group" on Differential Equations ... "Week Review" ... the speaker at that time did not seem to get the point or I was not able to make the point clear. It may be a convenience for further dealing with the "Convergence Theorems" when applying "Fourier Series" or "Fourier Transforms". Of course this choice does not seems to me that change any of these mathematical inconsistencies. Thanks for bringing this point back to discussion! Best regards!

Hi Zbigniew, sorry, I am not able to answer that question, but will forward it to the Calculus and Algebra Team at Wolfram for comments.

Posted 2 years ago

Sometimes there seems to be little correlation between the video and the lesson notebooks eg Convolution.

Is there a notebook of the video lecture that corresponds to L09CTConvolution.nb ?

Hi Doug, the convolution video is actually an outlier in terms of how much it differs from the lesson notebook. Most videos will stay much closer to the text in the notebooks.

The reason for the difference you observed is the nice explanation of convolution as a superposition of responses to scaled and shifted pulses that was added to the video but is missing in the notebook.

So, here is a notebook that re-creates that part of the video.

Posted 2 years ago

Thanks Mariusz The video on convolution piqued my interest regarding Convolutional neural networks.

Can we classify neural networks under this current mathematical scheme? Neural networks are time invariant but nonlinear , so a form of nonlinear time invariant systems .

Is there a correlation between the mathematical convolution integral and the mathematical bases for convolutional neural network or is this just a "classification " error and unrelated?

Hi Doug, it is my understanding, that CNNs contain a layer or more in which a discrete-time convolution operation with a finite number of fixed or learned coefficients creates the inputs to the next layer. We will be discussing discrete-time convolution shortly.

[WSG22] Daily Study Group: Signals, Systems and Signal Processing

POSTED BY: Jacek Gwizdka

Dear Zbigniew, one of the two reasons for the solution method I suggested for finding the impulse response is actually exemplified by your calculations. I did not want to explain the presence of the unevaluated Heaviside[0]. Also, most undergrad engineering students enter a course like this with some basic introduction to differential equations which usually does not include a discussion of singularity functions.

I do want the notebooks to address the needs of students with and without familiarity with Mathematica. The step-by-step evaluations are for the latter.

BTW, I get the following results:

In[2]:= Integrate[Sin[x] DiracDelta[x - 2], {x, -\[Infinity] , \[Infinity]}]

Out[2]= Sin[2]

and

In[3]:= Integrate[Sin[x] DiracDelta[x - 2], {x, 0 , 5}]

Out[3]= Sin[2]

Thanks, Mariusz. I really appreciate it. BTW, I wonder why Mathematica gives me different results of integration that it does for you? I'll try to figure it out and will let you know.

If of any help, I checked for eventually different output emerging from different input and, as it is seen below, we get the same result: enter image description here

Hi;

As a work-around until the PDF's of the Example Notebooks are available, could my Wolfram Cloud Account be expanded so that I could open the course notebooks and review them, at least for the duration of the course?

Thanks,

Mitchell Sandlin

I'm a little confused about the solution to Exercise 6 (the last) in L07CTSolutionMethods.

Find the solution of the following nonhomogeneous differential equation with given initial conditions:

y''(t)+Sqrt[2]y'(t)+y(t)=sin(t), 	y'(0)=0, y(0)=0

The forcing function is sin(t) but in the solution the DSolveValue has the equation with "Sin[t] * UnitStep[t]" (i.e. UnitStep[t] is added):

DSolveValue[{y''[t] + Sqrt[2] y'[t] + y[t] == Sin[t] UnitStep[t], 
   y'[0] == 0, y[0] == 0}, y[t], t] // Simplify

Why is the UnitStep function added to the equation here? Are there some underlying assumptions about this question that I've missed?

Hakan, thanks for catching that. The problem statement should in fact include the unit step as part of the forcing function (as it does in Problem 5). While it is not strictly necessary when solving with Mathematica, I like to explicitly include the unit step to clearly indicate that the onset of the input is at t=0.

To what extent the course's focus is going to continue on electrical circuits (this is seemingly such an old content XIX/XX c. :-) ) ? Such focus seems unnecessary (and it may be create a barrier for some people) in order to get at signal types/characteristics and signal processing. Though I am an electrical engineer by original training, my current interest in signal processing is more general. My specific interest is from the perspective of analyzing human neuro-physiological signals and the systems I study are human-machine systems. Hence my domain agnostic interest in signal processing.

Also: Are we going to get to multiresolution wavelet analysis?

Thanks - Jacek

Hi Jacek, the focus on circuits is very sporadic. The RC circuit is however a great stand-in for all/any LTI system - familiar to many. The goal of Lesson 6 was simply to show how constant-coefficient differential equations arise from physical systems.

Sorry, the course will not get to a discussion of wavelets. It's mathematical foundation is Fourier analysis, continuous and discrete-time.

Thanks @Mariusz Jankowski Thanks for explaining. The current study group content is very much what I was learning in mid-1980s in Poland (Politechnika Lódzka) when I studied electrical engineering and control systems, just without Mathematica :-) . A nice refresher! (I moved later to human factors engineering and psychology).

Do you know of any study group which would focus on multiresolution analysis using wavelets (discrete)?

Hi Jacek, yes, the continuous-time part of signals and systems has not changed much or any in the past 30-40 years. In the nineties, discrete-time concepts were added in recognition of the importance of DSP. It has remained in this form since then without I think losing any of its relevance. It still is a necessary gateway to topics in communication, digital signal processing, image processing, control, etc.

Hi Mitch, the answer was Kirchhoff's laws.

Hi;

What was the answer to Poll #1 of Lesson 6. As an aside, it would be helpful if the speaker in speaking, would slow down a little and place a little more emphasis on articulation.

Any update on getting the exercises in a PDF format?

Thanks,

Mitch Sandlin

The Exercises and Example notebooks for lessons 6..14 are missing in the Exercises and Examples folder. Will they be added later, or are there simply no notebooks for these lessons?

(I like to prepare for the lessons in advance since much of this is new for me, and/or I have forgot some of the college lessons in the 70s...)

/Hakan

Hi, do we need to turn in the "exercises" notebooks or is it only for our own practicing and learning?

I just noticed that all the exercise notebooks have the solutions, so I guess there is nothing to turn in.

Posted 2 years ago

Arturo, They are for just for practice, nothing to turn in. Later in the course, they will post quizzes to be completed online and these will count towards the certificate of course completion. Steve

Hi Wilfredo, thanks for the additional links and great suggestions for additional course materials. As I posted earlier, Oppenheim's version is my preferred Signals and Systems reference. There are of course other notable authors in this area - Lathi in particular. Oppenheim's recordings are great but be forewarned, their length, each a typical class session, requires a level of commitment that many nowadays find challenging. However, if you are up to it, absolutely, dive in and learn from one of the premier educators in this area of electrical engineering. I am also a great fan of your other suggestion - the Foundations of Signal Processing by Vetterli and Kovacevic. As the title suggests, it truly is an introduction to the mathematical foundations of signal processing and the most recent attempt to redefine how this topic is taught.

I agreed with you. The Original link from MIT is the query for all Recorded Classes (free) to Download materials and Video as a complement lecture.
(MAIN) https://ocw.mit.edu/search/?q=signal+and+systems From the Author of the great book Prof Oppenheim's recordings (1 ) https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/res-6-007-signals-and-systems-spring-2011/ (2 ) https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/6-341-discrete-time-signal-processing-fall-2005/ (3 ) https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/res-6-008-digital-signal-processing-spring-2011/ Others Professor Dennis (4 ) https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/6-003-signals-and-systems-fall-2011/ Professor Derek (5 ) https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/2-161-signal-processing-continuous-and-discrete-fall-2008/

Now, Every Single Courses in Digital Filters, etc., always introduce to the basic Concepts found in a single book by Professor Oppenheim. Even as a review, we must place the time, but with the MIT VIDEOS recorded and download it, the 1-hour Study Review using the Mathematica Notebooks, I believe they complement. I took several years ago all these courses in Signal and System, and at the graduated level in other DSP courses, we go back to the basic Foundations of "Signal and Systems". What I like from MIT are the lecture notes, exercise and Solutions, in addition to the video recordings. Been the basic foundations, it doesn't matter if they were recorded 10 years ago.

TO EVERYONE (STUDENTS) Above I place some links. I do recommend checking the MIT free Course on Signal and system Why? it aligns with this study group in the Topics, you can download each Chapter and Video and the professor is Professor Oppenheim. I am sure you can find the entire Book not chapter by Chapter.

To download faster use "Chrome" or IE 11 (not Microsoft edge) so that you use "right click and save the MP4 videos". Any Other course free in the MIT you can download videos and resources. They have over 600 courses free (good for refresh material if you have attended any engineering school).

If you use Microsoft edge, you will not see the download link and will default to ply the Video. Also check this link https://fourierandwavelets.org/ and download the free two Books and the Matematica books with the PDF. They will complement the learning on this study group. The Workbook ZIP/TAR provide is just the syntax under Mathematica along with the exercise. I will attend the Fridays class and sporadic during he week.

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/res-6-007-signals-and-systems-spring-2011/pages/introduction/ Instructor: Prof. Alan V. Oppenheim
Course Number: RES.6-007 Departments: Supplemental Resources
As Taught In: Spring 2011

Hello:

I am traveling and only have the cloud available to me for Mathematica. Furthermore, I do not have the availability, with my subscription to the cloud, to upload notebooks into my cloud account. Consequently, I will not be able to reviewing the exercises and their solutions in "notebook" format and that is why I asked if the exercises and their solutions could be made available in possibly PDF format.

Thanks,

Mitch Sandlin

@Mitchell Sandlin we should be able to share the PDF versions. We will try to add them to the download folder soon.

The "Exercises and Examples" folder is empty. Is it on purpose? Do we get access to them later? Thank you

Hi Jacek, An email was just sent out with a link to download the exercises. Please check again.

POSTED BY: Leila Fuladi

Hi be aware: If we play the recorded Video, The Polls doesn't show at all. So, when the discussion continues, we do not have an idea what were the choices or what were the results.one thing that is my goal is to be able to get something in the Wolfram syntax (the Fun part). I see it is powerful, but I never have use it.

I see the Notebooks Clear in the Video, but when opening the files, there are a bunch of Brackets in the right side that i would like to eliminate. This is like MATLAB scrips.

Thanks

Hi Wilfredo, I will ask our team to include Poll questions if possible. As for the cell brackets, in the notebook, if you evaluate the following, it will hide the cell brackets for all your notebooks: SetOptions[$FrontEnd, ShowCellBracket -> False]

Where do you place that? there are no 'SetOption' menus. I look in the "Preference" submenu to see if there is a checkbox for formatting etc. For me,it is too annoying those brackets. I am used to MATHCAD and clean sheets. MATHCAD has been discontinuing by PTC in favor of their Junky Mathcad Prime, I dislike that S/W big time, sorry). They are years away to make it like Mathcad.

So, I am migrating from a Math Program to type equations as they are seen. Something that I cannot do it in MATLAB. MATHEMATICA is like Mathcad with Floating Pallets plus the powerful syntax, just as any software package, we must learn to use the "short notation' and menus.

Hello @wilfredo henriquez , As you are migrating to Mathematica, you might find this video helpful to get started with Wolfram Notebooks: Learn to Use a Notebook on the Desktop

OK, thank you. Now I can see the exercise folder populated. It was empty earlier today. But the exercises start with lesson 2. today's is missing

Hi Jacek, the exercises start with Lesson 2, we did not create an exercise notebook for the introductory lesson.

Dziękuje!

Jacek, That's correct. There are no exercises for Lesson 1 (Introduction). For today's session, you have L02 exercises.We covered L01 and L02 today.

Hi Leila, I have the files with exercises and lessons. yes, the most up to date ones. But some of them do not contain important parts which you demonstrate. For example today's lessons file L09CTConvolution.nb did not have the first example in which you used Sin functions. In the cases of other lessons the difference was more minor. Thanks - Jacek

Hi Jacek, in general the notebooks may have more examples compared to the presentation. Here is the missing example for L09:

Thanks! how do I download it to a local .nb file? When I click on download and select "Continue with FIle Download" it downloads something, but it is not an .nb file - for me it looks like ".com.google.Chrome.tU6ZVD"

Hi, to download material, please check box both folder and look the Top Right Corner to DOWBLOAD ALL. The file is a ZIP/TAR folder compress with all the folders and exercise.

You are replying on a totally different topic. I am talking about a link to a "Embedded Notebook" from a reply in this forum. Download does not work for me.

Click on "Make your own copy" to open a copy of the notebook in Cloud. Then File> Download. You could also click on a cell bracket here in the notebook, copy the cell and paste it into your own notebook.

Thanks. The download error I reported earlier is due to my Google Chrome browser. Apparently a "bug", I am not able to download any files from Chrome any more.

Leila, I have the same problem that I cannot attend daily, but really would like to audit. So I signed up and will try to attend when possible. Fridays, I am available and usually mondays and wednesdays.

POSTED BY: Drew Lesso

Hi Drew, If you study the lesson notebooks and go over the exercises in your own time, that should work.

I join to the group of Mr. Drew Lesso: AUDITING REVIEW. I cannot attend every day, but I do play the Video later when they are ready (Night).

The only feedback I have is "the lesson were recorded by Laila too fast". I cannot keep up watching, listening and taken notes. The Matematica syntax expression just fly by my 'eyes' and there is no pause to digest point by point. Yes! I always take notes since it is my way of remembering lectures/materials for the short memory retention: Hands to Brain. For Long memory, is the second round of playing the entire 1hr review video, thinking, and analyzing.

I am aware different folks have different ways of assimilating contents, just that Math and Engineering requires a different pace, and breaks (slow down). This is why in most engineering courses are arranged twice a week, max 1:15hr with breaks and jocks in the class to relaxe students.

I decide to post this feedback in case there are others like me, just wait do what you can but continue attending the program. For the Folks desperate to get into DSP, hold on. Every day has an objective to review the fundamental in Signal and systems.

Posted 2 years ago

Will there be exercises available to download? Thank you, John

POSTED BY: John Bohn

Hi John, That is correct. For each lesson (except for L01) you will have a set of exercises, shared after the session is completed.

Posted 2 years ago

Thank you, Leila Enjoyed your class today. I am new this topic and new to Mathematica. This class will be helpful for both.

Thanks, John! Glad to hear that.

HI, Looking forward to this study group, but i will not be in every session Live! Impossible. I do all my important thing early in the morning which conflict with the time in some day. For me, it will be a great Review, in addition to learn Matematica since what i have used in the past is MATLAB.

References: There are too many books in Signal and System and many of them using Matlab. So Ignore Matlab and learn to transfer to Mathematica. The study group has already has all the book prepare. Thank you!!!!!!!!!! This is great.

BOOK: 1. Check Proakis,
2. Another is M.J Robert "Signal and System" but ignore MATLAB and learn Mathematica (what I will be doing, personally). 3. SCHAUMS's series has a great paperback "Signal and systems" . I always buy a paperback low cost for every course i have taken in my life, from electronics, physic, chemistry, control etc.

Below several links of webpages dedicated to signals and systems http://www.dspguide.com/pdfbook.htm (DSP GUIDE --goes thru Signal and systems) https://www.thefouriertransform.com https://lpsa.swarthmore.edu (La Place) https://fourierandwavelets.org/ https://ocw.mit.edu/search/?q=signal+and+systems (MIT free recorded courses)

Hi Wilfredo, We will have review sessions on Fridays, if you can attend.

Posted 2 years ago

I tend to use Matlab in conjunction with Mathematica. Is it worth getting the Signal Processing Toolbox.

I find it useful that you can run python, Julia and Octave scripts in a Mathematica notebook.

Hi John, my favorite by far is Oppenheim’s Signals and Systems textbook. While there are a couple of other that are good, you can’t go wrong with his version.

Hello to all registering for the daily study group. Looking forward to working with you soon. Let me know if you have questions about the course.

Posted 2 years ago

Hello Mariusz Do you have suggestions for reference materials such as books, online, etc? Thank you, John

Regretfully I need to unsubscribe from the Signal Processing study group. I thought I would have time to participate, but my current schedule will not allow.

POSTED BY: Drew Lesso

Hi, I registered late for this study group and have trouble findin the links to the notebooks materials. Could you please repost those? Many thanks!

Rui

POSTED BY: Rui Alves

Hello Rui and welcome! If you have signed up for the study group you will receive emails with the updated material. If you have registered and have not received the material, please send an email to our Wolfram U team at wolfram-u@wolfram.com.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract