Message Boards Message Boards

GROUPS:

How to make a copy of the documentation and edit it?

Posted 1 month ago
|
8 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
|

I am wondering how to make a copy of a documentation page and edit it. I have an idea to use FindFile to find a guide page for Graph Operations and Modifications. I would like to add my custom guide pages. I realize the new documentation features in 13 are for paclets but I don't want to create a paclet. I want to make a computational essay based on the documentation page.

FindFile["Graph Operations and Modifications"]

returns $Failed with the default $Path. I think I might need to enlarge the search of FindFile I have used a tool that searches my entire drive named VoidTools everything to search for GraphModifications and I found it.

I am trying to edit it and I can't make any changes. The file is not read-only and I copied the file from the location C:\Users\peter\AppData\Local\Programs\Common\Wolfram Research\Documentation.en-us\13.1\Documentation\English\System\Guides\GraphModifications.nb to a folder in my Documents folder and I have not been able to make any edits. I renamed the file after changing the path and I can't edit the file. I am wondering how to edit a copy of this file.

I have noticed the file has an archive value of true but I looked for an explanation of this property in the Information documentation and I can't figure out what this means and if this might be why I can't make edits to the document.

I have also noticed the file has an association with the documentation file and I am wondering how to safely edit the file so it does not have an association with the documentation file. I have tried setting the value of Archive to false which I'm not sure is the right way to programmatically edit the file because the File object is protected. i can unprotect the file but I'm not sure if unprotected the File object and changing the archive value to False and removing the file association with the documentation file is a good idea.

Attachments:
8 Replies
Posted 1 month ago

I think I might need to enlarge the search of FindFile I have used a tool that searches my entire drive named VoidTools everything to search for GraphModifications and I found it.

See this answer on MSE. It does not work on v13+ since the documentation is installed separately. On MacOS change the first expression to

guideNotebooks = {"/Library/Wolfram/Documentation/13.0/en-us", 
     "Documentation", "English", "System", "Guides"} // FileNameJoin //
    FileNames["*.nb", #] &;
POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi

How do I do it on Windows?

Posted 1 month ago

Unfortunately, there seems to be no cross-platform global symbol that points to the install location for documentation in 13+. The locations are documented here.

Windows: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Programs\Common\Wolfram Research\Documentation.en-us\13.0\Documentation

Macintosh: /Library/Wolfram/Documentation/13.0/en-us

Linux: /usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/13.0/Documentation

guideNotebooks = {"C:\\Users\\Peter\\AppData\\Local\\Programs\\Common\
\\Wolfram Research\\Documentation.en-us\\13.1\\Documentation", 
     "English", "System", "Guides"} // FileNameJoin // 
   FileNames["*.nb", #] &;

worked
Thank you.

i am wondering how to edit the file that has a file association with a protected file.

Posted 1 month ago

Change the path to the input file for Windows

CopyFile["/Library/Wolfram/Documentation/13.0/en-us/Documentation/\
English/System/Guides/GraphModifications.nb", 
 FileNameJoin@{NotebookDirectory[], "MyGraphModifications.nb"}]

NotebookOpen[FileNameJoin@{NotebookDirectory[], "MyGraphModifications.nb"}]

Select all cells Command-a on a Mac. From the menubar Cell / Cell Properties select Editable. You can now make changes to the notebook. However, File / Save is disabled, not sure how to enable it. Have to use Save As and overwrite the file.

I saved the file in a different location but I can't edit it. I also tried converting it to a wl notebook and reconverting it to a nb notebook but I can't edit when I reconvert it.

I used the Cell property which did not have editable selected to edit to edit the cell. Thank you the cell method worked.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract