Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
9 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

How to make a copy of the documentation and edit it?

I am wondering how to make a copy of a documentation page and edit it. I have an idea to use FindFile to find a guide page for Graph Operations and Modifications. I would like to add my custom guide pages. I realize the new documentation features in 13 are for paclets but I don't want to create a paclet. I want to make a computational essay based on the documentation page.

FindFile["Graph Operations and Modifications"]

returns $Failed with the default $Path. I think I might need to enlarge the search of FindFile I have used a tool that searches my entire drive named VoidTools everything to search for GraphModifications and I found it.

I am trying to edit it and I can't make any changes. The file is not read-only and I copied the file from the location C:\Users\peter\AppData\Local\Programs\Common\Wolfram Research\Documentation.en-us\13.1\Documentation\English\System\Guides\GraphModifications.nb to a folder in my Documents folder and I have not been able to make any edits. I renamed the file after changing the path and I can't edit the file. I am wondering how to edit a copy of this file.

I have noticed the file has an archive value of true but I looked for an explanation of this property in the Information documentation and I can't figure out what this means and if this might be why I can't make edits to the document.

I have also noticed the file has an association with the documentation file and I am wondering how to safely edit the file so it does not have an association with the documentation file. I have tried setting the value of Archive to false which I'm not sure is the right way to programmatically edit the file because the File object is protected. i can unprotect the file but I'm not sure if unprotected the File object and changing the archive value to False and removing the file association with the documentation file is a good idea.

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Peter Burbery
9 Replies

I think I might need to enlarge the search of FindFile I have used a tool that searches my entire drive named VoidTools everything to search for GraphModifications and I found it.

See this answer on MSE. It does not work on v13+ since the documentation is installed separately. On MacOS change the first expression to

guideNotebooks = {"/Library/Wolfram/Documentation/13.0/en-us", 
     "Documentation", "English", "System", "Guides"} // FileNameJoin //
    FileNames["*.nb", #] &;
POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi

How do I do it on Windows?

Unfortunately, there seems to be no cross-platform global symbol that points to the install location for documentation in 13+. The locations are documented here.

Windows: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Programs\Common\Wolfram Research\Documentation.en-us\13.0\Documentation

Macintosh: /Library/Wolfram/Documentation/13.0/en-us

Linux: /usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/13.0/Documentation

guideNotebooks = {"C:\\Users\\Peter\\AppData\\Local\\Programs\\Common\
\\Wolfram Research\\Documentation.en-us\\13.1\\Documentation", 
     "English", "System", "Guides"} // FileNameJoin // 
   FileNames["*.nb", #] &;

worked
Thank you.

i am wondering how to edit the file that has a file association with a protected file.

Change the path to the input file for Windows

CopyFile["/Library/Wolfram/Documentation/13.0/en-us/Documentation/\
English/System/Guides/GraphModifications.nb", 
 FileNameJoin@{NotebookDirectory[], "MyGraphModifications.nb"}]

NotebookOpen[FileNameJoin@{NotebookDirectory[], "MyGraphModifications.nb"}]

Select all cells Command-a on a Mac. From the menubar Cell / Cell Properties select Editable. You can now make changes to the notebook. However, File / Save is disabled, not sure how to enable it. Have to use Save As and overwrite the file.

I saved the file in a different location but I can't edit it. I also tried converting it to a wl notebook and reconverting it to a nb notebook but I can't edit when I reconvert it.

I used the Cell property which did not have editable selected to edit to edit the cell. Thank you the cell method worked.

Posted 1 year ago

Unfortunately I tried it myself, it seems it can't be done((( For this I usually use this source https://edusson.com/research-paper-writing-service which deals with research paper writing services; it actually means that they do absolutely any type of writing, including could do what you need. Another way I don't see, especially since it will be done in a very short time and with maximum quality, of the minuses is that you will have to pay, but in return you won't have any problems with it.

POSTED BY: Carol Schatz
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract