|
8 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Plotting 3D complex numbers with colors encoding the imaginary part

Posted 1 year ago

Mathematica can plot the complex function using abs and arg, but I want to plot a complex function with colors encoding the imaginary part. I cannot figure it out. Thanks in advance!

POSTED BY: Daniel Niu
8 Replies

Daniel,

Sorry I missed your request.

I want to know why you use Im[(x + yI)^2 + 1] + 8)/16 to scale the value to [0,1]? why not use Im[(x + yI)^2 + 1] /8 directly?

The Hue function ranges from 0 to 1 but your data ranges from -8 to 8 so you need to both scale and offset the function to get a full range of hues in the plot. Dividing by 8 gives you a range of -1 to 1. Dividing by 16 gives you a range of -0.5 to 0.5 and we shift it by 0.5 (8/16) to go from 0 to 1.

By the way, could you please provide the code for scaling the bar?

Plot3D[Re[fun^2 + 1], {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2}, 
 ColorFunction -> Function[{x, y, z}, myHue[Im[(x + y*I)^2 + 1]]], 
 ColorFunctionScaling -> False, 
 PlotLegends -> BarLegend[{myHue[#] &, {-8, 8}}]]

Regards,

Neil

POSTED BY: Neil Singer

Glad to help, I'm also glad you caught my error in the first post -- I did not consider the scaling problem (although I have been burned by that multiple times in the past!) Whenever I used a custom color function I frequently had to alter the ColorFunctionScaling to get proper results.

Regards,

Neil

Daniel,

First, to get your bar legend, you need to make a change in syntax:

ColorFunction -> Function[{x, y, z}, Hue[Im[(x + y I)^2 + 1]]], 
 PlotLegends -> BarLegend[{Hue, {-4, 4}}]]

As to the Color function, the problem is the default behavior is ColorFunctionScaling->True which scales your x,y, and z to the range 0 to 1. This means that your calculation of Im[fun^2+1] is no longer correct. You need to use ColorFunctionScaling->False, and then you need to scale the values of the argument to Hue to make sense (between 0 and 1). This means you need an offset and scale to Hue to get your function values between 0 and 1. You can automate this easily but the basic plot should look something like this:

ColorFunction -> 
  Function[{x, y, z}, Hue[(Im[(x + y*I)^2 + 1] + 8)/16]], 
 ColorFunctionScaling -> False, PlotLegends -> BarLegend[Hue]]

The legend has the wrong values but you can fix that by creating a function to give to BarLegend that scales the values so the bar is correct.

You get the following:

enter image description here

Regards,

Neil

Posted 1 year ago

Thank you, Neil. I didn't expect it to be so complicated to use Mathematica to visualize the complex function encoding the imaginary part. Thank you.

Posted 1 year ago

Dear Neil, I want to know why you use Im[(x + y*I)^2 + 1] + 8)/16 to scale the value to [0,1]? why not use Im[(x + y*I)^2 + 1] /8 directly? thank you!

Posted 1 year ago

By the way, could you please provide the code for scaling the bar? I have a tried, but failed. Thank you!

Daniel,

The problem is syntax:

You entered

ColorFunction -> Function[{x, y, z}, Hue[Im[z^2 + 1]]]

In this function, the x is the real part of z, the y is the Imaginary part of z, BUT z is not your original z its the magnitude of Re[z^2 + 1]. Using z in two places like that is confusing and leads to errors.

You can fix it with:

fun = x + y I;
 ColorFunction -> Function[{x, y, z}, Hue[Im[fun^2 + 1]]], 
 PlotLegends -> BarLegend[Hue[-4, 4]]]

to get

enter image description here

Regards,

Neil

Posted 1 year ago

Dear Neil, Thank you for your explanation. I correct the code, however, I don't think I get what I want. Mathematica seems not to encode the color with imaginary parts, because I do the same thing using MATLAB which is what I want. The two figure is totally different. enter image description here

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract