Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
14 Replies
|
17 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

How to calculate the entropy of a discrete probability distribution?

We know that the entropy of a discrete random variable X is:

enter image description here

And that the Poisson distribution has (credit to Wikipedia) PMF

and entropy

Poisson distribution entropy

So (for example) is there a simple (textbook) way to derive the entropy from the distribution?

In general, I need to derive the entropy for many discrete probability distributions given a PMF that is determined by combinatorial analysis. (It seems Mathematica calls it the PDF for discrete distributions?)

I suspect that it's actually not trivial, based on this paper, but I'm very far from being an expert, which is why I'm asking.

Thanks, cheers.

Jeremy

POSTED BY: Jeremy Murphy
14 Replies

Thanks, Vitaliy. Yes, you would think that generalization of Shannon entropy would do the job, but I had a quick play with it and wasn't able to get a result. I probably just don't know what I'm doing, though.

Jeremy,

the entropy for a distribution $p(k)$ is defined as

$$ -\sum_{k=0}^\infty p(k)\ln p(k) $$

This is what I did:

(* definition of Poisson probability: *)
p = \[Lambda]^k Exp[-\[Lambda]]/k!; 

(* entropy - does not give a closed expression: *)
-Sum[p Log[p], {k, 0, Infinity}]  

(* expanding Log[p]: *)
logp = FunctionExpand[Log[p], Assumptions -> {k >= 0, \[Lambda] > 0}] /. Gamma[1 + n_] :> n!

(* doing summation term-wise: *)
-Simplify[Sum[p #, {k, 0, Infinity}] & /@ logp]

This gives finally your wanted result:

Hard to tell how to do it for any other distribution, so - I do not know if this really helps.

POSTED BY: Henrik Schachner

Thanks, Henrik. Any example is helpful at the moment; it might help me to derive a general solution.

Posted 2 years ago

Henrik, I'm completely new to Mathematica, so I understand most of what you've written there, but could you briefly explain, or link to an explanation, of a few of things:

• After the end of FunctionExpand, what is that "/." operator and the expression with Gamma doing? (I know what the Gamma function itself is.)
  • What is the # symbol in the last Sum doing?
  • What is the meaning of "&/@" in the last Sum?

Thanks.

POSTED BY: Updating Name

Simpler:

p = \[Lambda]^k Exp[-\[Lambda]]/k!;
 -Sum[#, {k, 0, Infinity}] & /@ (p Log[p] // PowerExpand // Expand)

(*\[Lambda] - \[Lambda]*Log[\[Lambda]] - Sum[-((\[Lambda]^k*Log[k!])/(E^\[Lambda]*k!)), {k, 0, Infinity}]*)

Test:

Integrate[Sin[x] + Cos[x] + Exp[-Pi*x^2 - 1/x], x](*Can't integrate all terms*)

but:

Integrate[#, x] & /@ (Sin[x] + Cos[x] + Exp[-Pi*x^2 - 1/x])
(*-Cos[x] + Integrate[E^(-x^(-1) - Pi*x^2), x] + Sin[x]*)
POSTED BY: Mariusz Iwaniuk

Mariusz, thank you, that's a great simplification! It works very well.

It takes several seconds to produce an answer, which is not a problem at the moment, but are there additional constraints/assumptions I could add to help it solve faster? Is it just a matter of experimenting and see what makes a difference?

I successfully solved another pmf, but then I accidentally lost the equation after copying down the result. Now I can't recreate the result!

This is what I'm trying:

q = ((T - 1)/T)^i;
p = (1/T) q;
pmf = if[i = n, q, p];
-Sum[#, {n, 0, Infinity}] & /@ (pmf Log[pmf] // PowerExpand // Expand)

And I previously got a result of:

-((-1 + T) Log[-1 + T]) + T Log[T]

which I verified numerically against other data I have. But now when I run the above commands, I get a very ambiguous result that is hardly simplified at all.

What am I going wrong in trying to recreate the result? It seemed to easy the first time.

Jeremy,

one problem is syntax: It probably should read:

pmf = If[i == n, q, p];

and: Where is the dependence on n, what is "i"? If it is some constant parameter it ought to be contained in your wanted result.

Thanks, Henrik, yes it took me a while before I realized that Mathematica uses = for assignment. Apologies for the half-baked plea for help, I did figure it out by myself in the end.

n is the size of the discrete random variable minus one, and i is the index you might say of the outcome, so when calculating numerical values of entropy for a drv of finite size, it computes essentially computes p[i] until i == n where it then computes q[i]. But my mathematics is not very strong and I didn't know how to express that in a way Mathematica would understand, so I actually just got rid of q altogether. The numerical results are spot on, but I'm not sure if the symbolic result is right, given that I dropped the case of when it reaches n (since n is Infinity in the analysis).

I also seemed to be having problems with variable declarations leaking from previous calculations. As in, the k variable from calculating Poisson still existed and so if I used k again in the definition of p then it didn't work. I can't explain in detail as I haven't had time to experiment, but essentially I couldn't run the Poisson calculation twice -- the second time would give me an error.

Finally I made the mistake of changing pmf to p in the Sum without removing the definition fo pmf and so the # symbol still referred to pmf although I didn't want it to. Rookie mistakes.

This is what I did in the end, but with a lot of Clear commands preceding it:

q = ((T - 1)/T)^i;
p = (1/T) q;
Simplify[-Sum[#, {i, 0, Infinity}] & /@ (p Log[p] // PowerExpand // Expand)]

Giving the aforementioned result:

-((-1 + T) Log[-1 + T]) + T Log[T]

Thanks for your help.

I'm completely new to Mathematica ...

OK then, wellcome, you are ahead of a steep learning curve - but you can be sure: Learning Mathematica is worth any effort! Regarding your questions:

• "/." means ReplaceAll: I am using it here because I want the result in terms of factorial (and not Gamma function);
  • "# &" is the short form of Function and refers to a "pure function";
  • "/@" is the short form of Map;

Mathematica has a terrific documentation - one needs to learn using it excessively.

Thanks for the quick intro, Henrik!

Maybe this helps.

POSTED BY: Mariusz Iwaniuk

Thanks, Mariusz. That question on the Mathematica overflow is closely related, and it helped me find other people asking the same question as me on there!

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract