Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
3 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Can I get multiple views of the same notebook?

Posted 1 year ago

I use Wolfram|One 13.1 under Windows 10 and 11 which has the standard local Wolfram Desktop as development platform. This has limited capabilities when regarded as an editor or even IDE. (This is not to say anything against the great idea and functionality of notebooks).

In particular I often miss the possibly to open two or more windows on the same notebook. I liked to edit it at two different places (e. g. function definition and use) at the same time. The desktop doesn't allow this. It can only hide cells or cell groups which is tedious to use.

As a bypass I have the notebook in one session for edit and test. And start a completely new second session/frontend with the last saved state of the notebook. This second instance can only be used for viewing or copying, not editing, since changes are not synchronized between the two instances.

And of course, I miss a real (and working) debugger.

I assume there are products under Wolfram's many products(1), which can be called a real IDE. But which one?

Or do I have to use additional tools like Eclipse, Visual Studio or the like? If yes, can someone point me towards instructions how to setup such an environment?

(1) I have never understood why there are so many products and what their differences are. As an example: Why there are things called "Wolfram" and others called "Mathematica"? Isn't the latter just the ancient name for "Wolfram"?

POSTED BY: Werner Geiger
3 Replies

Hi Werner

I don't think there is a way to do this in Mathematica / Wolfram One. I use Visual Studio Code (free) for developing WL package/paclet code. Wolfram Research has an official extension for VS Code that is very nice. In VS Code you can open the same file in multiple windows. Any changes made in one window are reflected in the other window(s) when the changes are saved.

POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi
Posted 1 year ago

Thanks, Rohit. This helps me.

I have and use Visual Studio as well. (And Eclipse, which I would prefer). I will look into your links.

Posted 1 year ago

Does really nobody know an answer to my question?

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract