Message Boards Message Boards

Examples of Mathematica notebooks ready for publication to a journal?

Posted 1 year ago

Were may I find examples of Mathematica notebooks or authoring guides -- using Traditional Notation only -- such that what the reader sees is very nearly ready to be sent to a journal for publication?

Example : Principal Investigators (PIs) with whom I work very much enjoy seeing my dynamic and interactive Mathematica notebooks with Traditional Notation, such as the following fully computational formula:

Computationally Functional Traditional Form

However, the PIs cannot envision any means for Mathematica front-end to be useful for preparing Journal articles because of all the preceding syntax required for that computationally functional traditional form overwhelms the reading flow:

Computationally Functional Traditional Form - Overhead

Question : where may I find examples of Mathematica notebooks or style guides -- that use Traditional Form for computational formulas -- so that I may learn how to better structure my Mathematica authoring process?

PS. Also, what are helpful authoring strategies to enable parameters from Traditional Form formulas to be passed along to Mathematica functions like NonlinearModelFit such that NLM doesn't throw errors due to the Traditional Form of the parameter it is to solve? NOTE: Using the Notation Package didn't help me to solve this issue....

POSTED BY: A. Chase Turner
Posted 1 year ago

I'm not sure I entirely understand the constraints, but a couple of things come to mind. First, you can move all of the distracting code to a package, and you can then just load the package (Needs or Get) from the "main" notebook. Second, you could generate your desired output rather than just give them the "raw" notebook. For example, you could find all output cells or all cells with a particular tag and copy them into a separate notebook for distribution. Or output as PDF or other formats. You can check out some of possibilities here: http://reference.wolfram.com/language/guide/LowLevelNotebookProgramming.html). Third, there are some more basic things you can do within a single notebook, like hiding certain cells. Your inline comments could be simple text cells (I know you didn't ask about that, but it would make the notebook look more like a document instead of a big block of code).

I guess my general suggestion is to separate out your computations from what you want to present. Do all of your computations in your messy sandbox area, and then just generate the output that you wnat to actually present. Export that output in whatever format is appropriate.

POSTED BY: Eric Rimbey
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract