Message Boards Message Boards

Computational modeling of chain mail: design and visualization

Posted 1 year ago
POSTED BY: Isabel Skidmore
7 Replies
POSTED BY: Mike Finn
POSTED BY: Brad Klee

Very fun project. I quickly got inspired and could not resist to try and make a shirt of some sort. Got quite far, but to have them perfect connect all the way is tricky. Perhaps easier if you include more rings (tens of thousands of rings)… Thanks for the inspiration!

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman

So cool! This is exactly where I was planning to take this next, so it's very cool to see it implemented. And with nice styling to make it look like metal :-) Also-- love the use of RotatedTorus, that's a new one for me.

I think another thing to account for when making a shirt is the movement of the rings, since in theory the weave can "stretch" a certain amount. I kind of see that happening in your shirt model here, where at the neck the rings fit very close together and towards the hem of the shirt they seem farther apart. There is probably some measurable range of stretch that we can incorporate to give it a more realistic fit. And of course gravity has a hand in how this sits on a person as well... so many variables to account for!

Thank you for the reply!

POSTED BY: Isabel Skidmore

Thanks! You can find the definition of RotatedTorus at the beginning of my notebook; it is an easy definition that uses the internal Torus object and rotates. For the styling you could even use the new MaterialShading to make it really look like metal.

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman
Posted 1 year ago

Very nice, especially the code for construction of the 4-in-1 weave.

There are 80 layer symmetry groups (Shubnikov and Koptsik, Symmetry in Science and Art, chapter 8). The European 4-in-1 weave looks like it belongs to the layer group pbmn.

It would be interesting to see to which layer groups the different known weaves belong, and also to design new weaves possessing the symmetry of unrepresented layer groups. The interlocking rings induce constraints on the allowed symmetries, so some layer groups cannot be represented.

POSTED BY: Updating Name
POSTED BY: Moderation Team
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract