Message Boards Message Boards

Rorschach mask animations projected over 3D surfaces

Posted 2 years ago

MODERATOR NOTE: a submission to computations art contest, see more: https://wolfr.am/CompArt-22

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Anton Antonov
8 Replies

Halloween version (looks good in "dark mode"): enter image description here

The reasons this "worked" are:

• WL functionalities
    • Comprehensive image processing and image effects functionalities
    • "Out of the box" parallel programming functionalities
      • Without parallel computations making the experiments would have been too slow for me to come up with something "good" within art competition's deadlines.
    • Fast Singular Value Decomposition
    • "Out of the box" neural network functionalities
  • Computational elements
    • Previous work on random graphics generation (mandalas, scribbles)
    • Curation, documentation, and availability at Wolfram Function Repository (WFR) - Having sound design of computation module is important if solutions have to be delivered reliably and quickly.
    • Previous work on dimension reduction techniques
      • Latent Semantic Analysis (LSA) representation is uniquely fit for these kind of effects
    • The 3D face reconstruction neural network and related documentation
      • Available through Wolfram's repositories / sites

enter image description here -- you have earned Featured Contributor Badge enter image description here Your exceptional post has been selected for our editorial column Staff Picks http://wolfr.am/StaffPicks and Your Profile is now distinguished by a Featured Contributor Badge and is displayed on the Featured Contributor Board. Thank you!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team

Congratulations, Anton, this does look like an ink blot. However, when I see the Rorschach mask, I also immediately think of Aleksandr Ivanovich Luzhin from Nabokov's book "The Defense".

POSTED BY: Brad Klee

Thank your, Brad!

I think I have some idea why you would associate that Rorschach animation in "mental" chess-players. (I see gryphons and lions, for example...) So, here is another animation with chess figures:

enter image description here

Amazing Anton! thank you for sharing. I have been fascinated by this animation since I watched the movie.

POSTED BY: Ahmed Elbanna

Thank you, Ahmed!

And yes, I also have been thinking about that "Rorschach animation effect" since I watched the movie... Basically, LSA approximations are uniquely fit for doing this kind of effect.

Another approach is to use neural networks in a manner of DeepDream. That is much more computationally expensive, though. (Hence, experimentation would take longer times.)

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract