|
4 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Need help with solving in Alpha and getting the steps

Posted 11 years ago

Hi all, I am new to the community and could use some help solving the following equation, the site will give me the answer but when I click on step by step instructions it will not pull them up, which is what I thought I was paying for :/

Solve. ((5)/(p-2))-((7)/(p+2))=((12)/(p^2-4))

Thank you in advance for your help! :D

POSTED BY: Janet Gordon
4 Replies

OK good deal, thank you.

Dear Janet,

it seems to be doing exactly what you are paying for. You probably speak about Wolfram Alpha not Mathematica, I assume. Copying your equation in and hitting enter, you get to a window where you can click on "show steps". This gives you:

enter image description here

It is not quite clear what went wrong when you did it. Anyway, it works just fine.

Cheers, Marco

POSTED BY: Marco Thiel

Great, thank you Marco, that is exactly what I was looking for! :) Not sure why it wouldn't pull up for me, but it continually refused when I clicked on the show steps button. (said no results available, please try your query again) And yes, I was referring to Wolfram Alpha, is Mathematica where I should be to get the steps laid out? This is something that happens to me about 50% of the time. I'd really like to not have to bother others with it. Thanks again.

Posted 11 years ago

Hi Janet, this a peculiar bug you have found and we're looking into it now.

You can see the steps by avoiding the period in your query, i.e. Solve ((5)/(p-2))-((7)/(p+2))=((12)/(p^2-4)): http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Solve+((5)/(p-2))-((7)/(p%2B2))=((12)/(p^2-4))

You have the ability to see step from Wolfram|Alpha and Mathematica, but accessing them through Wolfram|Alpha is encouraged because hints are only available this way.

POSTED BY: Greg Hurst
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract