Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
3 Replies
|
3 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

What are some different primitives or combinations for 3D Graphics?

Posted 10 years ago

So far I only see polygons, spheres, and cylinders. I am a beginner at Mathematica, and I'm trying to make a simple 3D rabbit- are there any better ways to form, for example, the ears, or the legs. I don't really want to just put cylinders on top of the head and call them ears...

POSTED BY: Kacey Price
3 Replies

Fun!

Now can you find a 3D ear to use? Perhaps using a 3D scanner. For the rabbit though one would have to cinvince it to stay quite still.... ;-)

POSTED BY: David Reiss

I don't really want to just put cylinders on top of the head and call them ears

You do not have to. You can use a real ear. Mathematica graphics are flexible to allow mixing actual images with graphics objects. I just found an ear image on the net (it was the left one, so had to do ImageReflect to get the right one as well) and used both ears along with Graphics to make simple face (I am not good with art, I am sure you can improve on this). This just gives you the idea.

enter image description here

The code is: enter image description here

leftEar = Rasterize[leftEar, ImageSize -> 50];
   rightEar = Rasterize[ImageReflect[leftEar, Left -> Right]];
   Graphics[
    {
    {EdgeForm[Black], LightGray, Disk[]},  {EdgeForm[Black], LightBlue, Disk[{-.5, .5}, .15]},
    {EdgeForm[Black], LightBlue, Disk[{.5, .5}, .15]},  {EdgeForm[Black], LightRed, Rectangle[{-.1, -.3}, {.1, .3}]},
    Circle[{0, 0}, .5, {-180 Degree, 0 Degree}],
    Inset[leftEar, {-1.1, .2}],  Inset[rightEar, {1.1, .2}]
   }, ImageSize -> 300  ]
POSTED BY: Nasser M. Abbasi

Take a look at the elements described here:

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/guide/SymbolicGraphicsLanguage.html

and remember that you can build up surfaces with lines and polygons as well as spline surfaces and parametric plots of equations that represent a shape you are interested in.

POSTED BY: David Reiss
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract