Message Boards Message Boards

LinkObject errors on Windows 10 but not Windows 11, Version 13.2.0

Posted 1 year ago

On Windows 10, I get LinkObject errors related to "XML.exe" when using natural language or WolframAlpha input from standard notebooks.

There is no problem on Windows 11.

(WolframAlpha works from the website and from the Windows application).

See the attached notebook "230124 LinkObject Errors.nb", last run on Windows 10.

At the end of the notebook there are screenshots taken from Windows 10 and Windows 11.

I submitted the same question to Wolfram support, but maybe someone here already knows a solution.

POSTED BY: Werner Geiger
3 Replies

What happens when you evaluate the following?

RunProcess[
 FileNameJoin[{$InstallationDirectory, "SystemFiles", "Converters", 
   "Binaries", $SystemID, "XML.exe"}]]

Does it ask for a link name? Or is there an error of some kind?

POSTED BY: Ian Hojnicki
Posted 1 year ago

Hi Ian,

it brings up an input dialog with one input field "Create link:"

If I cancel, an input dialog with one input field "Connect to link:" comes up.

If I cancel again, an information dialog comes up saying "MathLink linkname missing or malformed" ( or "Insufficient arguments to open a MathLink link" if the notebook is uninitialized).

There are no errors anywhere.

(The file name from FileNameJoin is of course the same as in the error messages described in my first post).

Posted 1 year ago

Wolfram Support could not reproduce this issue. They even installed a machine with Windows 10 22H2 for that. Thanks.

Maybe I have some Windows installation or configuration problem on my machine. I continue to investigate what these "LinkObject::linkd" errors actually mean. The docs say: "This message is generated by an attempt to access a WSTP connection that is not active".

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract