|
5 Replies
|
6 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Modest Job Offer: Converting a published paper into a Mathematica Notebook

Posted 11 months ago

My objective is to convert a 1970s published paper -- "Inferential statistical methods for estimating and comparing cosinor parameters" into a Mathematica notebook ... that is as close as possible to the original paper format and is computationally live, meaning it is possible for those who download the notebook to change input data, tweak implementations, etc and see the results. A follow-on project is to publish sub-segments of the methods to Wolfram's Function Repository.

I am seeking a mentor to guide me with the initial part of the conversion for Section 1 of the paper -- so that I may learn by example and continue on to complete the conversion of the remainder of the work. At the conclusion, I'd like to meet again to review the entire Mathematica document from top to bottom to ensure it is a faithful recreation of the original paper.

This is entirely a self-funded project -- I have a very modest and humble budget. If interested, please send me an example of a Mathematica notebook you've published that would be "similar" to the format of the cited paper (above) -- and let me know of your consulting rate and availability to partner with me for 10 hours of work (with some zoom based paired Mathematica programming) to translate Section 1 of the paper into a Mathematica notebook. NOTE: I don't know that 10 hours is too much or too little, but I do recognize your time is valuable and that 10 hours of undivided attention is helpful to gain momentum on the work.

POSTED BY: A. Chase Turner
5 Replies

What I understood from your description of the problem is that you want the diagrams in the paper to be dynamic in Mathematica using the equations used in the paper. I have just seen the paper and not read it properly. This is a short clarifying comment.

POSTED BY: Kundan Kumar
Posted 11 months ago

Text recognition is working perfectly now with a smartphone plus the CamScanner app downladed. from the Galaxy store. Insertion of fixed images is trivial. It remains to implement Manipulated formula with graphics output.

This is the text taken as a photo from the pdf on screen and converted to a word docoment in 10s.

Food and Drug Administration, Washington, DC, USA *** Only three decades ago, the interpretation, and even a statistical analysis, of biological data on time-varying functions was nearly always performed without regard for any time structure. Purely static interpretations of mea- surements, sometimes based on a single 'snapshot' and interpreted without any temporal reference, seemed to suffice for diagnostic and other aims in biomedicine. Even today, many physicians rely on blood pressure measure. ments at very few arbitrary time-points, although it has long been known that the values vary greatly along several time scales in health, Fig. 1, and disease, Fig. 219, 20 What can be said for human blood pressure also applies to core temper. ature. Although an about 24-h temperature rhythm has long been known, there does not seem to be much motivation for the routine application of methods of regression and time series analysis to biological temperature se- ries, as is practiced in many other sciences such as physics, engineering and economics. By the same token, the relationships of structural components among several biological variables are usually regarded from a static point of view, as more or less immutable features, for a given person and set of Key-words: Acrophase-test; Amplitude-test; Chronobiologic serial section; Chronobiologic window; Chrono- desm; Frequency; Mesor-test; Ortophase; Parameter test; Period; Population-mean cosinor; Short series; Sin- gle cosinor. Support: National Institute of General Medical Sciences (GM-13981), National Cancer Institute (CA-14445), National Institute of Aging (AG-00158), National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (OH-00631). Presented at workshop on methods held after the XVth Meeting of the International Society for Chronobiology held in September 1981 in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA. Received June 7, 1982. Chronobiologia 9, 397, 1982, 397

POSTED BY: Roland Franzius
Posted 11 months ago

You are invited to download the PDF and attempt your Text Recognition approach, but you will quickly see the resolution of the source is not sufficient ... and that there is a dose of non-standard notation too.

What I am seeking is to create a CDF version of the Inferential statistical methods for estimating and comparing cosinor parameters so that it is both readable in a Traditional Format, and is a computational document whose equations and plots are live computations, not scanned text.

POSTED BY: A. Chase Turner
Posted 11 months ago

As I said, I downloaded the pdf, took the sreen shot from the notebook screen and text recognized it with the smartphone app. There are now flaws with respect to the text, as far as I see, and it takes only some minutes. I English and Chinese the systems work.

POSTED BY: Roland Franzius

@Roland Franzius I think what @A Chase Turner means is focus on adding computational Wolfram Language code to the paper in a comprehensive manner so original narrative remains.

POSTED BY: Sam Carrettie
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract