Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
2 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Algebraic Manipulation Palette (Mathematica 10)

Posted 10 years ago

I am fairly new to Mathematica and have just installed Mathematica 10 on a Windows 8.1 system. The Algebraic Manipulation Palette does not seem to function correctly. In particular, clicking on a command from the palette, Expand[ ], for example, causes the command to be highlighted in the input area for a brief time and then to disappear leaving only a single box for the entry of an expression. The actual algebraic command, Expand in this case, does not appear at all. Has anyone else experienced this behavior or am I misunderstanding the use of the palette in some manner? Thanks for any comments or help.

POSTED BY: Joseph Pace
2 Replies
Posted 10 years ago

Thank you for the guidance. That works as you explain. Sometimes the simplest things elude me. Thanks again.

POSTED BY: Joseph Pace

Try this: First select the expression in the notebook using the mouse, so it is highlighted. Then move the mouse and the click on the Expand[*] button in the palette. While moving the mouse to click on the Expand[*] command, the expression will remain highlighted.

You have to select the expression first, in the notebook, before clicking on the command. The command acts on the currently selected expression.

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Nasser M. Abbasi
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract