0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Function's value is always zero?

Posted 1 year ago

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Jayashree Das
8 Replies

Your function contains extremely large or small numbers. The result may be meaningless if you are not very careful.

POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni

Welcome to Wolfram Community! Please make sure you know the rules: https://wolfr.am/READ-1ST

The rules explain how to format your code properly. Posting code Images doesn't help other members to copy your code. Please EDIT your post and make sure code blocks start on a new paragraph and look framed and colored like this.

int = Integrate[1/(x^3 - 1), x];
Map[Framed, int, Infinity]

You can also embed notebook or attach notebook.

POSTED BY: EDITORIAL BOARD
Posted 1 year ago

The attached screenshot is the result from mathematica 13.1 but I am attaching the program code of mathematica 9. There I have the plot of normalized wave function. So for all values of n it should give me 1 if we check the normalization of a individual state by integrating again. But the catch is that, when I tried to recheck the normalized condition of a state then for the lower values (n<15) it's giving the result 1. But the integration value is increasing (>1) from n=15 and so on.. I checked here for n=51. Then the value was of the order of 10^46. Why does this type of contradiction occur? Please help me.. Please.. enter image description here

Posted 1 year ago
β=4954/1000;
μ=1156/100*10^4;
r0=503/100;
d=0057/1000;
\[HBar]=1;
α=16/10;
nmax=116;
λ=Sqrt[2 μ d r0^2/(β^2 \[HBar]^2)];
s[n_]=2 λ-2 n-1;
NN[n_]=Sqrt[β s[n] Gamma[n+1]/(Gamma[2 λ-n] r0)];
ξ[r_]=2 λ E^(-β(r/r0-1));
ψnλ[r_,n_]=NN[n] E^(-ξ[r]/2) ξ[r]^(s[n]/2) LaguerreL[n,s[n]ξ[r]];
Plot[Abs[ψnλ[r,0]]^2,{r,0,6},PlotRange->All]

POSTED BY: Bill Nelson
Posted 1 year ago

What version of Mathematica have you used sir? Some results were coming in Mathematica 9. I am attaching that.. But there was a problem. There I have the plot of normalized wave function for all n up to n=nmax. So for all values of n it should give me 1 if I check the normalization of a individual state by integrating again. But the catch is that, when I tried to recheck the normalized condition of a state then for the lower values (n<15) it's giving the integration value 1. But this value is increasing (>1) from n=15 and so on.. I checked here for n=51. The value is of the order of 10^46. Why does this type of contradiction occur? Please help me.. Please.. enter image description here

You typed LaguerreL[n,s[n]ξ[r]] instead of LaguerreL[n,s[n],ξ[r]]?

POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni
Posted 1 year ago

Thank you for catching my mistake. When I correct that and I remove my 10^300 scaling factor then the plot matches and the integral is almost exactly 1.0

POSTED BY: Bill Nelson
Posted 1 year ago

Please help me to plot the function correctly. Why is there so much contradiction for all the versions?

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract