Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
4 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Help with double numerical integration (Inverse Fourier and Laplace Transforms)

Hi All,

I have a complex function with two independent variables, but aren't easily separated in my function. One is a Laplace variable and the other is a Fourier variable and I would like to bring both back to their respective real spaces and must do so numerically as the function is too convoluted to do symbolically.

I believe I have the right structure, but as it is throwing up a million errors, I wanted to see if anyone had any helpful advice. I have tried looking at other discussions, but I didn't see one that quite fit this niche.

Mathematically, what I am trying to do is: enter image description here

And using the following resources: NInverseLaplaceTransform,NInverseFourierTransform

Needs["FourierSeries`"]

f[g_,s_,\[Omega]0_,k0_,\[Theta]_] := -I 1/\[Pi] g^2/(g^2+\[Omega]0^2) 1/Sinh[k0] Exp[-(g/Abs[k0])Abs[\[Theta]]]/\[Theta];(* Sin[k0 y] *)

tval = 23;

FList:={}
For[i=1,i<=1,i++,xpos = i*0.2;
    datap := ResourceFunction["NInverseLaplaceTransform"]
    [Simplify[NInverseFourierTransform[f[g,10000,0.5,1,\[Theta]] ,\[Theta],xpos,FourierParameters->{-1,-1}]],g,tval];
AppendTo[FList,datap];
]
Print["Done."]

The f I provide here is one that can be done symbolically, I wanted to use it as a test case but errors abound. I have chosen to loop over only one nonzero x value and one t value as a start.

My understanding of the issue is that the fourier transform will not converge to a value, but will retain itself as a function of g. Then the laplace transform will take care of g.

I hope it is clear what I have presented.

Thanks, Daniel

POSTED BY: Daniel Urbanski
4 Replies

Instead of a For loop I would write

invFT[g_?NumericQ, xpos_] := 
  NInverseFourierTransform[f[g, 10000, 0.5, 1, \[Theta]], \[Theta], 
   xpos, FourierParameters -> {-1, -1}];
FList = Table[
  ResourceFunction["NInverseLaplaceTransform"][invFT[g, xpos], g, 
   tval],
  {xpos, 0, 0.4, 0.2}]

but you should be careful to choose a sample f for which you know in advance that all integrals converge.

POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni

I really like the formatting you have provided here, it is very helpful and transparent. I can't seem to get a simple expression to work with it, however. My take away is that it's not going to be possible to do a double integral in this way. For example, for the following function f:

g/((g^2 + w0^2) (DiracDelta[\[Theta]-1]+DiracDelta[\[Theta]+1])

The inversions should yield cosines, however the integrals provide the errors: NInverseLaplaceTransform::wrongexpr: The argument invFT[g,0.2] is not Numeric at fixed g .

I think the approach should be as you said in your previous comment. I need to conduct the first integral symbolically and then I can do it numerically for the second variable. Thanks again for your help!

Your function f[g, s, \[Omega]0, k0, \[Theta]] is not integrable with respect to \[Theta]. My understanding is that NInverseFourierTransform relies on numerical integration, which is likely to fail. Try the symbolic way, which handles non-integrable cases:

InverseFourierTransform[f[g, s, \[Omega]0, k0, \[Theta]],
 \[Theta], \[Omega]]
POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni

Thank you for response! I had done that method previously and for the function I provided the symbolic method works quite well. I had hoped to use the double numerical method to solve a more complex expression and since I knew this one could be handled symbolically I thought it would be a good test to try numerically, but I see why that isn't the case. Thanks again, apologies for the delated response!

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract