Message Boards Message Boards

Dynamic visualization of Penrose tilings

Posted 9 months ago

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Dugan Hammock
6 Replies

Hi Dugan, may I ask you, what the following line is good for?

tileCornerLatticeCoordinates[[All,gridIndices]]=Tuples[gridLineNumbers[[gridIndices]]];

It looks like a transformation that shifts some of the rhombs in place. But is it possible to heuristically explain, how it works. I understand that the intersections of the pentagrid provide the order of the rhombs but they certainly do not provide the correct location. Therefore, the intersections are projected into 5D. This happens in the line before. But what is the quoted line doing precisely?

Thank you, Johannes.

POSTED BY: Johannes Martin

Very cool!

I used your code to make this short YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/OUmMBYje3to

POSTED BY: Arnoud Buzing
Posted 9 months ago

Glad you like it and thanks for sharing the video!

So nice to see the code works well enough for other people to make their own creations =]

I am wondering if you'd be willing to explain how to make this tiling completely from scratch while broadcasting it all on Twitch? (Assume I know very little about tilings and a moderate amount of math)

POSTED BY: Arnoud Buzing
Posted 9 months ago

That sounds like a great idea! I'd be happy to review de Bruijn's multigrid method and go over the code for generating Penrose Tilings.

enter image description here -- you have earned Featured Contributor Badge enter image description here Your exceptional post has been selected for our editorial column Staff Picks http://wolfr.am/StaffPicks and Your Profile is now distinguished by a Featured Contributor Badge and is displayed on the Featured Contributor Board. Thank you!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract