Message Boards Message Boards

NEW book by Seth J. Chandler—Query: Getting Information from Data with the Wolfram Language

Query: Getting Information from Data with the Wolfram Language by Seth J. Chandler

Seth Chandler has a new book coming out tomorrow from Wolfram Media!

Mathematica and the Wolfram Language provide an integrated environment for sophisticated programming, making them the ideal tools for calculus, data visualization, machine learning, and more. But how about using Wolfram as the linchpin for organizing data? In this book, Professor Seth J. Chandler, an award-winning, 30-year user of the Wolfram Language, guides intermediate users from simple cases to data in the wild and shows how each can be fed into the full range of Wolfram Language functionality. It's both a conceptual and practical approach filled with annotated examples.

ORDER NOW: https://www.amazon.com/Query-Getting-Information-Wolfram-Language/dp/1579550851

Want to know more about associations or the organization and presentation of datasets? This book shows how it's done. Want to organize or reduce data in the Wolfram Language similarly to the way one might use SQL, pandas in Python, or dplyr in R's tidyverse? This book shows how to simplify data processing and go beyond what is possible with other tools using the Query function. It also explores how to import information from the places real-world data is most likely to be found: CSV, Excel, or JSON files.

POSTED BY: Paige Vigliarolo
6 Replies
Posted 5 months ago

POSTED BY: Dave Middleton

Thanks for the question! I'll let Seth Chandler know, but in case he doesn't get a chance to answer before the webinar, feel free to bring your question along this Friday!

POSTED BY: Paige Vigliarolo

Thanks for the question. I hope you are able to attend the Webinar. As an initial matter, something is strange with your code. In response to this:

Query[All, KeyDrop["class"]]@titanic

You are getting an answer that is grouped by class. Perhaps you could submit your entire notebook.

One quick point, though.

KeyDrop[#class]& is not a correct operator. You can see this by running the following

f29 = Normal@titanic[[1]]

This gives us a single Association. If you now run

KeyDrop[#class]&[f29]

You get KeyDrop["1st"], which is not what you intend.

POSTED BY: Seth Chandler
Posted 5 months ago

Dear Seth,

Thank you for your reply.

My apologies, the GroupBy operator went missing after copy-paste and I discovered that my first example was invalid. I will replace and rephrase my question as a notebook.

I will join next Friday's webinar 15 minutes later. Looking forward to seeing you there.

Wolfram U is pleased to welcome Seth Chandler as featured speaker at an author talk on Friday, December 8, 12pm CT. It's free and online! See details and reserve your spot here: https://www.bigmarker.com/wolfram-u/query-book-author-talk-seth-chandler

POSTED BY: Jamie Peterson
Posted 7 months ago

Thanks for sharing and thanks to Seth Chandler for writing this book. I was awaiting the completion of this book :)

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract