|
12 Replies
|
7 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Mathematica support for general ARM chips

Posted 11 months ago

Withe the apple silicon and the new snapdragon elite X it seems that the trend is to move towards arm based chips. I know that mathematica does support apple silicon, but are there any plans to support other arm chips? I mean, like a general version of mathematica for the arm chips in linux and windows machines.

POSTED BY: Felipe Barbosa
12 Replies
Posted 2 months ago

Mathematica 14 on modern Windows (arm64) is almost unusably slow. So basically none of the new Windows Copilot AI PCs on X Elite will work, and none of the 5G / always connected / etc. So it's a huge miss for Wolfram in general.

But instead I figured that you can actually install and use the Raspberry PI version of it in Windows WSL and it works flawlessly and without any performance issues (although the distribution seems to be somewhat limited/cut-down even when using the official activation key)

So the steps to install Mathematica on Windows are:

1. enable WSL & install Ubuntu 22 from Windows Store
  2. (highly recommended: install Terminal from Windows Store)
  3. Go to https://www.wolfram.com/raspberry-pi/ and download the installation script with the button on the center of the web page
  4. Copy from downloads folder to Ubuntu/home/<your username>/
  5. Open Terminal and open Ubuntu console
  6. chmod +x ./install-wolfram-engine-14.0.0.sh
  7. run script with ./install-wolfram-engine-14.0.0.sh
  8. wait & complete all prompts answering Yes
  9. once all is complete, type Mathematica in command prompt
  10. activate & use
POSTED BY: Andrew Gree
Posted 9 months ago

I am interested in this too

POSTED BY: Updating Name

Hi Arnoud,

I am interested in using Mathematica on a Samsung tablet device. My current device is the Tab S9 sporting a Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 gen 2 CPU, which should be plenty compared to the R-Pi, thus performance should not be an issue.

OS wise, I am using termux as the container, I can also can use proot to install other Linux Distro if necessary, although this will hurt the performance due to Proot. Hence, ideally I want to do everything inside termux.

I just wonder whether anyone attempt successfully to install Mathematica R-Pi version on such set up. I am willing to actually participate in debugging efforts, thus if there is already a group attempting it in this community, I would love to join. Consider Samsung tablet sales literally have been doubling gen over gen in the last 3 gens (of the order of 10mils unit per quarter now), I think this is an absolute worthwhile effort!

I will try to start something later today and see what the initial problems are.

Kind regards, Quan Le Thien

POSTED BY: Quan Le Thien

We don't have an official build for Linux-ARM for customers, but we do have a Linux-ARM build for Raspberry Pi: https://www.wolfram.com/raspberry-pi/

Do you have a specific Linux-ARM machine that you are asking this for?

We don't have any plans for a Windows-ARM version at the moment

POSTED BY: Arnoud Buzing
Posted 11 months ago

Hi On a slightly different note,

I have a AMD Ryzen Threadripper CPU. I am wondering whether it is possible for Mathematica to use AMD's Optimizing CPU Libraries (AOCL) instead of MKL. Is there an easy way to make this happen?

POSTED BY: Asim Ansari
Posted 11 months ago

I don't have any machine in particular, I am just looking to buy a new laptop and searching the possibilities.

Hi Arnoud,

I am not sure whether you see my other direct reply to OP, really sorry that message was intended as a direct question to you. I never realized that I did not reply directly to you till now.

The good news is that I managed to successfully install the Pi's ARM version of both the Wolfram Engine and the front-end Mathematica to with full GUI working with Termux-X11. Because this is my first time getting involved with the Wolfram Community, I am not sure how to share it as a tutorial. Do you know whether it is appropriate for me to make a tutorial for that on WC? If yes, where should I put that?

Kind regards, Quan Le Thien

POSTED BY: Quan Le Thien

Should be fine to make a Wolfram Community post about it. Glad this worked for you.

POSTED BY: Arnoud Buzing
Posted 9 months ago

Any chance you could write up some notes on this endeavor for other folks trying to accomplish the same objective?

POSTED BY: Mma Usr
Posted 9 months ago

Please!

POSTED BY: Codrut Popescu
Posted 8 months ago

Hi again,

I have a M1 Mac and want to install Fedora Asahi on it, is this Raspberry Pi version expected to work?

Posted 8 months ago

Unlikely ... or at least not without a lot of effort on your part. There is a post on the web somewhere about someone managing to accomplish something similar for a non-Raspbian distribution on their Pi.

It would be helpful if Wolfram would start packaging the ARM version of Mathematica as a flatpak or a snap so that users could install it across different distributions.

POSTED BY: Mma Usr
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract