|
4 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Kernel exit on certain Apart[] calls?

Posted 9 months ago

I just purchased Mathematica (13.3.1.0) after using it briefly 20+ years ago, so I'm walking through basic tutorials. One included...

Apart[(2 x^2 - 3)/(x^2 - 3 x + 2)]

...which correctly decomposes the rational expression, but then the kernel immediately exits and loses existing references in the notebook. Similar commands like...

Apart[(3 x^2 - 3)/(x^2 - 3 x + 2)]
Apart[(x^2 + 5)/(x^2 - 5 x - 6)]
Apart[(x^5 - 2)/(2 + x - 2 x^3 - x^4)]

...complete without any issues and the kernel keeps running. Is there some subtlety I'm not seeing here?

POSTED BY: Todd Pytel
4 Replies

Not an issue, it's clear what you were replying to. If you replicate it, we'll see if we can track it on a similar system here. This might require contacting Tech Services, if we have trouble doing so.

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau
Posted 9 months ago

Sorry... replied to myself. Didn't realize how threading works here.

Posted 9 months ago

Thanks for the reply. Good to know I'm not being obviously stupid.

No, I didn't have anything unusual going on. I don't even know how to do anything unusual in Mathematica yet. :) And I've run those same commands multiple times with the exact same results. This is on Win10 running on a quite capable desktop PC - shouldn't be any kind of resource issues.

I'm in the middle of a video encoding job at the moment (which wasn't running at the time I was testing). When it completes, I'll reboot and test again with absolutely nothing else going on.

What you describe is certainly not expected behavior. But I am not replicating in in 13.3.1 on Ububtu Linux. Was there something else going on during the computation, e.g. scrolling over large graphics or some dynamic computations on the screen?

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract