2 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Changing output default to StandardForm / TraditionalForm

Posted 5 months ago

Hi All,

I problem I have all the time is my notebooks switching to TraditionalForm instead of StandardForm and being unable to switch back. The switch happens because I used FeynCalc often, and that resets the default to be TraditionalForm output.

However, TraditionalForm is just incompatible with doing actual computations so I prefer to switch back rather than manually putting StandardForm[] around everything I evaluate. However, when I open the Options window from the Format tab, I go into Cell Options > New Cell Defaults > CommonDefaultFormatTypes, when I try to change Output to StandardForm, I can never apply the change! Attached is a screen shot of what I see.

How do I get this change to be more consistent? This drives me crazy, and the guess work of kernel quitting, restarting, blah blah until finally the default resets by some magic is a terrible solution.

Thanks!enter image description here

POSTED BY: chris jackson
2 Replies
Posted 5 months ago

Hi Chis, I'm not a Mathematica expert, but try this. Type the following command into your current document:

CurrentValue[$FrontEnd,{"CommonDefaultFormatTypes"->"Output"}]=StandardForm;

His change will be applied to all documents.To restore the previous format:

CurrentValue[$FrontEnd,{"CommonDefaultFormatTypes"->"Output"}]=TraditionalForm;

Hope this helps.

POSTED BY: Sinval Santos

Hi Sinval,

I've been having the exact same problem as Chris and this is the solution. Resetting settings to defaults didn't help either. I saved the code above into a notebook for easy switching.

Thank you so much!

Lori

POSTED BY: Lori Johnson
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract