|
6 Replies
|
9 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:
GROUPS:

[WSG24] Daily Study Group: Topics in Artisanal Calculus

Don't forget to join us this week for our ongoing study group covering topics in calculus from new angles. Bell polynomials, the Euler-Maclaurin formula, and fractional calculus are among the topics you will see how to explore with Wolfram Language. Also see how these ideas find applications in the study of dynamical systems, minimal surfaces, and number theory. Each day's session is self-contained if your schedule causes you to miss one.

Whether you are new to Calculus or an instructor looking for cool new examples, learn how Wolfram|Alpha developers bring computation to the study of mathematics. Ask questions in the study group sessions, answer polls to check your understanding, and receive a certificate of attendance. If you follow the registration link after the study group concludes, you will find video recordings of the sessions.

REGISTER HERE

Use this thread to collaborate and to share ideas, materials and links to other resources with fellow learners.

enter image description here

POSTED BY: John McNally
6 Replies

It has been a good week. My comments are below:

Comments on Artisanal Calculus Study Group

This week has been a good week. I signed up for this study group because I was hoping to see beautiful patterns that aren't normal covered in textbooks, I was not disappointed!

Thanks to John McNally, Dan McDonald, Jack Heimrath, Jordan Hasler, Ed Pegg, Shenghui Yang, Paco Jain for all of your hard work.

The best part of everything I saw this week sparked ideas of things to explore, programs to write. That's what math is all about!

Memories of Don Cohen, The Mathman

Anything that reminds me of Don Cohen (1930-2015), The Mathman (www.mathman.biz), brings me joy. That happened today during Ed Pegg's session when he talked about minimal surfaces. A Steiner tree is the first problem Don handed to me when my husband and I first met him in Champaign, IL! Of course, Don made me solve them by hand and I enjoyed it :-D. These problems will always spark the memory of the day Don and I first met.

Don also had students work with bubbles as part of the math program. These types of problems can be grasped by young people.

Infinite Series

When Shenghui Yang got to this part of his talk,:

...this part of Don's book flashed in my brain:

There are so many more connections to be made. My brain is happy! Thank you all!

POSTED BY: Lori Johnson

P.S. Don Cohen sent my husband and me to meet Theo Gray and his Periodic Table table. Theo wasn't in but Ed Pegg was. He kindly and generously gave us a tour of several iterations of periodic tables. We have not forgotten!

The "periodic table" table is definitely a favorite!

POSTED BY: John McNally

I know!!! Really, which one do you choose? That and the vertical, glass periodic table would be great anchors in an industrial-style loft, lab on one end, and a living space at the other. More people should live with periodic tables, LOL!

Looking forward to tomorrow's featured artisanal calculus talks about minimal surfaces by @Ed Pegg and Beukers' Integral by Shenghui Yang. Be sure to sign up to get a link to the recording, if you can't attend the live session.

POSTED BY: Jamie Peterson

Thank you, Jamie! Today's session was special to me. Please see my note :-D

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract