|
3 Replies
|
6 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

[WSG24] Daily Study Group: Introduction to electric circuits

Posted 11 days ago

A Wolfram U Daily Study Group focusing on the beauty of Electrical Engineering begins on the 24th of June.

Join @Leonardo Laguna Ruiz, @Ankit Naik and a group of fellow learners to explore the fundamentals of electrical engineering. You will learn the basic concepts in an intuitive and accessible way. We will delve into analysis methods that will enhance your understanding of how electric circuits work. Next, we will focus on operational amplifiers and their versatile applications, such as solving equations, designing filters, and creating fundamental building blocks for analog synthesizers and analog computers.

This study group is suitable for both beginners and experienced engineers looking to refresh their knowledge and learn new analysis techniques. No prior Wolfram System Modeler or Wolfram Language experience is required to join the study group.

Please feel free to use this thread to collaborate and share ideas, materials and links to other resources with fellow learners.

We look forward to seeing you: June 24th-June 28th & July 8th-July 12th, 11am-12pm CT (4-5pm GMT). Due to the US Independence Day holiday, this Study Group will break during the week of July 1 and resume on July 8.

REGISTER HERE

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Ankit Naik
3 Replies

Just thinking out loud here: From what you quoted, the imbalance appears to have been in the generator frequencies to start with? I imagine they need to stay synchronized in frequency if they are sharing loads. Otherwise you set up a beat frequency at the difference frequency between the two generating systems, and their voltages will move from being in phase to being out of phase, back to being in phase again at the rate of the beat frequency. I don't know how power grids really work, but I imagine this will cause intolerable voltage variations as they sum in phase and out of phase. Did that happen? It's a simple graph to add two sine waves of equal amplitude but with a slight difference in phase to show what happens.

But upon closer inspection of the article you mentioned it looks like the real complaint was simply that having a slightly lower frequency than the assumed 50 Hz, kitchen equipment that assumes 50 Hz and some kind of zero crossing counter as a clock reference will get a long term clock drift.

As an aside, when we talk about load impedances being a function of frequency, unless the load has a very high Q (lossless resonance), they don't change very much in the vicinity of the frequency of the stimulus. Bio-mechanical systems (a cool topic) are inherently lossy and must have low Qs. To a first order it would be surprising to see much sensitivity to the frequency of the stimulus. But I can see additions and cancellations of multiple stimulus playing a role. And our internal body clocks seem to get reset every day according to the motion of the sun.

POSTED BY: Carl Hahn

the imbalance appears to have been in the generator frequencies to start with?

As I understand it, all generators in a grid will be synchronized at the same exact frequency. Care is taken when bringing a new generator online to have each of the three phases match the rest of the grid. The video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGPCIypib5Q shows an "offline" generator being brought onto the "grid". The video starts getting interesting around 3:00; the two generators are brought onto the same circuit about 40 seconds later. If a bunch of generators are on the grid, they will all remain in sync. Bringing a generator online is a procedure that was worked out by Nicola Tesla (and others) well over 100 years ago. The first synchronizations were done manually, but I'm certain automated equipment to bring a new generator online has existed for a very long time.

I do not know what condition existed at the border to drag the frequency of the entire European grid down. It had to be an extreme event for the grid. I am gobsmacked that the condition continued to exist for weeks; zillions of officials monitoring the grid must have noticed. What took them so long to take action? Both technical and political questions abound.

WRT the Q factor of our musculoskeletal network, I haven't found any published papers on the topic. I figured out one way to look at the Q: I torque a gently-contracted fist with the thumb and middle fingers of the opposite hand and then release it. The release is similar to snapping the fingers. You can have the pronators and supinators in the arm at a varieties of tensions (i.e., co-activations). When you release the hand, you can see it oscillating for 1-2 cycles before the motion is stopped. Whether you have a slight or large co-activation, the damping is always in that same range. We appear to be a heavily damped system. I thought it was way cool to identify a piece of anatomy where one could observe the rapid damping of oscillations in our musculoskeletal system. I fondly hope I can find more!

I'd love to hear what pithy comments our instructors have on this rather esoteric topic of the great European grid frequency leak of 2018. What exactly was it that dragged the grid frequency down? Is there any applicability to other systems that are modeled with impedance? Can you reduce this phenomenon to a WL demonstration showing how the frequency loss would happen? If this question has wandered too far to be valuable for this course, please consider discussing it in a future posting to the Wolfram Community board. Thanks!

POSTED BY: Phil Earnhardt

Hello. I'm registered for the Daily Study Group!

In early 2018, there was an incident in the European electrical power grid. From the Ars Technica reporting on the incident European grid dispute resolved, lost 6 minutes returned to oven clocks:

Last month, the European Network of Transmission System Operators (ENTSO-E) publicly admonished Serbia and Kosovo for not properly balancing their grids according to previous agreements. "This average frequency deviation, that has never happened in any similar way in the CE [Continental Europe] Power system, must cease," the group wrote. "ENTSO-E is urging European and national governments and policymakers to take swift action."

Two days later, on March 8, the Transmission System Operators (TSOs) from Serbia and Kosovo confirmed that they were back to balancing their grids appropriately.

The incident piqued my curiosity: it's a unique example where load influenced the frequency of the AC power grid. Even though the 50Hz grid never dropped below 49.996Hz, this remains (to the best of my knowledge) a unique deviation from that most-important frequency. Technically, what happened? What was the imbalance, and how could it have this significant an impact on the entire European grid? My understanding is that a 1% drop in the line frequency of a grid could have serious impact on some old (stodgy) generators. Is it possible to have a Wolfram Language simulation showing what happened for the class? What was this imbalance, and how much of an imbalance would it take to produce a 1% drop in the frequency? I'd love to hear a brief discussion about this incident during the class, but realize it may be a bit late to change the presentation. Perhaps a homework example?

The dynamics of electricity is a secondary interest to me. Many other systems -- including mechanical systems like our musculoskeletal system -- use stored energy in their oscillating cycles. The same impedance model used in electrical systems can be applied to many mechanical systems. Impedance is inherently dependent on frequency, but most don't understand the frequency-dependent dynamic in biomechanics. That must change.

Since electricity is discussed far more than any other domain studying impedance, I pay attention when Wolfram Research is discussing such things. Thank you for this WSG.

POSTED BY: Phil Earnhardt
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract