Message Boards Message Boards

Mathematica, Wolfram|One, and other products are now accessed via the new unified WOLFRAM app

Posted 2 months ago

Mathematica, Wolfram|One, and other products are now accessed via the new unified product WOLFRAM

Starting with Version 14.1, Wolfram|One, Mathematica, Wolfram|Alpha Notebook Edition, and Finance Platform are all accessed through the new unified product, Wolfram. The Wolfram application was created to ensure a simplified installer for all supported products.

Changes can be noticed, for example, in some installation interfaces (see images above) or file system paths (see details at the links below).

The way you get a license for the products you already have and enjoy will remain the same, it's just that the application that you run will now be Wolfram. It will still be activated with whatever product license(s) you had previously/get now. If you had multiple products, you'll be able to activate them all with this one Wolfram product, and switch between them as needed via the Product Settings screen in the Preferences menu.

POSTED BY: EDITORIAL BOARD
15 Replies
Posted 27 days ago

Mathematica has many obvious virtues. However, it has always tended to suffer from "being so slick and cool it is unusable" ....

POSTED BY: Crisp Toast
Posted 1 month ago

In moving from v14.0 to v14.1, I am finding that the NETLink programming interface no longer works. An application (which works unchanged with v14.0) that is built against the v14.1 interface assemblies will build just fine, but its call to MathKernel.Compute() fails categorically with:

Wolfram.NETLink.MathLinkException: Error code: 3. MLGet out of sequence.
   at Wolfram.NETLink.MathKernel.Compute()

Is anyone else seeing this, and if so, any suggested remedies?

Thanks.

POSTED BY: Dave Boll

Could you reach out to Wolfram Support with the details of your NETLink application? I think this should be sent to them.

Posted 1 month ago

Already did (CASE:5168793) -- just thought I'd try the community too, in case others had seen problem and devised workaround.

POSTED BY: Dave Boll

I have Dynamic Unsafe Content after upgrade Wolfram 14.0 to Wolfram 14.1 . I could find that installations path's where changed, "Wolfram Desktop" --> "Wolfram"

Actual situation in 14.1:

In[6]:= Column[ExpandFileName/@CurrentValue[$FrontEnd,{"NotebookSecurityOptions","TrustedPath"}]]
Out[6]= D:\Users\Chris\Documents\Wolfram\
C:\Program Files\Wolfram Research\Wolfram\14.1\
C:\ProgramData\Wolfram\
C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Roaming\Wolfram\

So all my notebooks are stored in D:\Users\Chris\Documents\Wolfram Desktop\ and are not trusted! I can change the directory name to "Wolfram" too be trusted. But this will disrupt some directory relations in my notebooks.

Are there better options?

POSTED BY: Chris Van Damme
Posted 1 month ago

Your existing customization in Preferences is not carried over to 14.1.

To fix it add your D:\Users\Chris\ .. to the trusted directories. Menu item Edit/Preferences, the Security tab:

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Hans Milton
Posted 1 month ago

Stephen, The support file for installing the new app listed a step requiring us (I use macOS) to rename the Mathematica file (e.g. v14.0) in the Applications directory. After I renamed it Mathematica_Old, I was able to install the Wolfram app (14.1). Unfortunately, I then used CleanMyMac to uninstall the old Mathematica app, which did a great job of erasing my old StyleSheets, *.m's and such. Note to self: look before you leap.

POSTED BY: David Barnes

We are sorry to hear about any difficulties people are experiencing with this transition. Please contact our Technical Support group if you have any issues our documentation doesn't address.

We tried to keep the user experience as unchanged as possible - the application name and installation location has changed, but once it is running, it should feel the same as previous versions. We told users about this change where they were getting the product - in the announcement emails, download locations, etc., as well as in Stephen's release post and livestream.

We included information that this change was happening, because it is slightly different and users could be concerned they were downloading the wrong thing, etc. Users are launching a different executable, but what they run ends up being effectively the same thing.

We did attempt to limit differences between the versions as much as we could, but there were factors that needed to be considered with automatically importing certain settings and/or leaving previous locations as defaults. A few specific examples:

• For users that have multiple instances of our products installed on their machines, which settings should be imported/treated as the main one?
  • Should all old paclets be copied over, including version-specific ones? What about user-created packages that only work for specific versions, which we wouldn't be able to determine?

If anyone wants to use a tool that will help you import paclets/stylesheets/palettes/inits/applications from earlier versions of Wolfram products (such as Mathematica) into version 14.1 of Wolfram, one of our developers has made a Function Repository item that does this.
To use this tool, inside of Wolfram, run:

ResourceFunction["MigrateSettingsToWolframApp"][]

This will give you an interface where you can choose what to bring over to Wolfram from your older installations:

enter image description here

POSTED BY: EDITORIAL BOARD
Posted 1 month ago

For users that have multiple instances of our products installed on their machines, which settings should be imported/treated as the main one?

Surely the majority of users has a single WRI product installed, namely Mathematica. In these cases, how could it be a problem to carry over user settings from Mathematica to Wolfram?

As it stands now each user has to do the job manually.

POSTED BY: Hans Milton

I have had a successful installation, but I can't find a WOLFRAM app or anything labeled Wolfram. I do see something labeled "Wolfram script when I click, it opens a terminal session on my Mac M1 MAX with the Sonoma 14.5 OS. Where's the 14.1 app?

POSTED BY: Charles Glover

Can seet the app "Wolfram" in your "Applications" folder?

(Both "/Applications" and "~/Applications".)

What do you see when executing this command in Terminal:

ls /Applications/Wolfram.app
POSTED BY: Anton Antonov
Posted 1 month ago

Why did you assume users would check this forum before upgrading or know that they needed to change the name of their Mathematica file, neither of which were necessary for the past 20 years?

POSTED BY: David Barnes

And two other things for me:

1. My preferences weren't imported.
  2. My paclets/packages weren't imported.

I guess I have to do these things by hand. Can you say, "user experience."

POSTED BY: Michael Rogers

Hm... I did not think about that!

I like installing new Wolfram product versions because I can see -- or be reminded of -- which paclets I use. And see which of my paclets have problems loading.

(BTW, after installing new R or Raku releases I use scripts to install the packages I usually need.)

POSTED BY: Anton Antonov

Hello, Please explain your statement - "..change the name of their Mathematica file,..."

I am having issues loading files made using 14.0 into 14.1. It takes a LONG time to load the 14.0 files and they are corrupted when they do load.

I did not see any instructions to change the name of the mathematica file. Where or how did you learn of this ?

Thanks.

POSTED BY: Stephen K.
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract