Message Boards Message Boards

Giving values of boundary conditions while solving a system of non-linear equations

Posted 24 days ago

I'm solving a system of non-linear equations using finite element method. while giving the values of boundary condition I'm getting the error. How I'm getting that I don't know.

screeenshot for boundary conditions

POSTED BY: Nithiya V
17 Replies

In bcs you have typed u[x,y]=0 instead of ==0.

POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni
Posted 23 days ago

Thank you for your response Even now also I'm getting the same errorenter image description here

Posted 23 days ago

This is the problem I have to include this boundary condition cavity boundary condition

The first element of NeumannValue must be a value, not a predicate. Check your definitiopn of op, because it evaluates to False.

Posted 23 days ago

I have checked again. Even though it's showing the same error.for reference I have attached

Posted 23 days ago

And I have given the Neumann value as zero for the top wall and y=1

op alreay contains the equation ==0, you do not need to write op=={0,0,0} again.

Posted 23 days ago

I have made changes. Even though I'm getting error in the Neumann condition alone. Is it correct according to the diagram what I have given for the Neumann condition. enter image description here

In your definition of op you have u[x,y] but also u alone. You must make the independent variables explicit everywhere. NeumannValue is used inside a differential equation, not free-standing.

Posted 23 days ago

how can I give that Neumann condition. I have searched in many things I got this only, kindly let me know how to define for that particular condition.

Sorry, I have no expertise on Neumann conditions. In the documentation I only see Neumann conditions for linear PDEs, but yours seems nonlinear.

It will be easier to help you if you include the actual code instead of a screenshot.

Posted 23 days ago
Pr = 0.71; Ra = 10^4;

Needs["NDSolve`FEM`"]

\[CapitalOmega] = ImplicitRegion[True, {{x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1}}];
op = {D[u[x, y], x]+D[v[x, y], y] \[Equal] 0, u[x, y]*D[u[x, y], x]+v[x, y]*D[u[x, y], y]+ D[P, x]-Pr*(D[u[x, y], x, x]+D[u[x, y], y, y]) \[Equal] 0, u[x, y]*D[v[x, y], x]+v[x, y]*D[v[x, y], y]+D[P, y] Pr*(D[v[x, y], x, x]+D[v[x, y], y, y])+Ra*Pr*\[Theta][x, y] \[Equal] 0, u[x, y]*D[\[Theta][x, y], x]+v[x, y]*D[\[Theta][x, y], y]-D[\[Theta][x, y], x, x]-D[\[Theta][x, y], y, y] \[Equal] 0}

bcs = {DirichletCondition[{u[x, y] \[Equal] 0, v[x, y] \[Equal] 0, \[Theta][x, y] \[Equal] 0}, x \[Equal] 0], DirichletCondition[{u[x, y] \[Equal] 0, v[x, y] \[Equal] 0, \[Theta][x, y] \[Equal] 1}, y \[Equal] 0], DirichletCondition[{u[x, y] \[Equal] 0, v[x, y] \[Equal] 0, \[Theta][x, y] \[Equal] 0}, x \[Equal] 1]}

NDSolveValue[{op, bcs}, {u, v, \[Theta], P}, {x, y} \[Element] \[CapitalOmega], Method -> {"FiniteElement"}]

What is D[P, x]?

Posted 23 days ago

P is a pressure term that is also function of x,y i haven't mention that in explicit form

Posted 23 days ago

Now, do you get any idea about the Neumann boundary conditions. Till now I'm getting error.

I would write the region more simply as

\[CapitalOmega] = Rectangle[];

I get the error that op has four equations with only three unknown functions.

Sorry, I can't help you with the Neumann condition.

Posted 22 days ago

Thank you for reply.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract