|
|
4 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Problem exporting Symbol type in Mathematica 10

Hello, I ran into a problem using Mathematica 10. I have a 2D Plot, I need one tick of an axis to be labeled with a somewhat complicated expression; in LaTeX I write it as $t_l + gamma$. I use the following command to have it printed on a plot within Mathematica (it works well):

Text[Row[{Style["!(*SubscriptBox[(t), (l)])", Italic, 
    FontFamily -> "Times", 12], Style["+", FontFamily -> "Times", 12], Style["g", FontFamily -> "Symbol", 12]}]]

If I export the plot (by using Export) as a pdf in Mathematica 9 everything is fine, it looks great. If I export the plot (by using Export or Save as) as a pdf in Mathematica 10 the "g" exports as a "g" and not as a $gamma$.

Any ideas why this is so? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

POSTED BY: Jorge Villalobos
4 Replies

I am not sure why this did not work for you, But, why not just use the Mathematica symbols for the Greek characters? See the attached PDF. --David

Attachments:
POSTED BY: David Reiss

Thanks for the answer David. To answer your question: I'm not using Mathematica symbols because they differ a little from the one LaTeX uses (I'm a bit on the OCD side regarding notation on scientific papers); so I want to have control on the types. I've generated the attached file with the following command: Plot[x, {x, 1, 4}, PlotLabel -> Style["\[Gamma] \[CapitalGamma]", 14], Frame -> True, FrameTicks -> {{{0, {2, Style["\[Gamma] \[CapitalGamma]", 12]}}, None}, {{{2, Text[Row[{Style["\!\(\*SubscriptBox[\(t\), \(l\)]\)", Italic, FontFamily -> "Times", 12], Style["+", FontFamily -> "Times", 12], Style["g", FontFamily -> "Symbol", 12]}]]}}, {{2, Style["\!\(\*SubscriptBox[\(t\), \(l\)]\)+\[Gamma]", 12]}}}}] as you can see there is an issue with the "Symbol" character.

I'm working with Mathematica 9 (the pdf looks great) so it is not a huge problem for me, but I just thought some one should look into it.

Thanks again!

Attachments:

No, not OCD, it makes perfect sense to have consistency of typography.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the change of the default style sheet from version 9 to version 10...

Either way, I think it should be reported as a bug.

Send a note to support@wolfram.com so they put it in their bus database.

POSTED BY: David Reiss

I'll do it ASAP. Thanks for your answers. GL

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract